PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this subject has been discussed before. I am wondering what the best battery to get is. I haven't had any trouble with the stock one except it is starting to leak out the post. I looked up odyssey but they don't seem to have one, at least they don't have any Polaris ones on their fitment guide. I would like to upgrade to an agm if possible.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
There is a thread around here somewhere where a guy put in an Odyssey and it is almost a direct fit for the OEM battery. The only issue is that the new battery isn't quite as tall as the old battery so a spacer is needed to make the hold down bracket fit tight.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The spot for the factory battery is a big enough area where you could mount two battery's if you take the stock one out and replace it. The bracket the holds the stock battery can be removed easily and then you can add your own or buy a new one that will hold the battery of your choosing.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How big of battery will the 900 charge?

·
Registered
656 Posts
How big of battery will the 900 charge?
That I don't know. I have a regular battery and odyssey 925 on mine.when my stock battery goes to crap I am thinking maybe two odyssey 925's if I can. I already bought a double trey mount that mounts with both battery's on there side.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have the same battery setup that Jay (above) has. We both have isolators between the batteries but I'm not sure that we are using the same brand of isolator.

I'm no electronics expert and I'm not even in "novice" territory, but I don't think the question should be how big of a battery will a 900 charge but how long will it take for a 900 to charge it. Eventually, a 900 will charge any battery given enough time.

Reactions: fswan

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have the same battery setup that Jay (above) has. We both have isolators between the batteries but I'm not sure that we are using the same brand of isolator.

I'm no electronics expert and I'm not even in "novice" territory, but I don't think the question should be how big of a battery will a 900 charge but how long will it take for a 900 to charge it. Eventually, a 900 will charge any battery given enough time.
what kin kind of isolator do you have. I have the tru am smart isolator.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
what kin kind of isolator do you have. I have the tru am smart isolator.
I have the WirthCo Battery Doctor.

Water resistant (IP62) - suitable for marine use
Priority charging for starting battery
Automatically charges auxiliary battery
Manual override for starting battery
Over current and surge protected for vehicles with electronic systems

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know what the factory battery specs are, cca etc? Maybe its on the battery I haven't looked.

·
Registered
656 Posts
It maybe. Also a good question is what do you use your battery for. Is it just regular use or you use your winch a lot or a radio.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A winch and a lot of radio. So far it hasn't caused me any issues except its leaking. Even last winter when I plowed snow using my winch it never started slow. But if I'm buying might as well upgrade.

·
Registered
656 Posts
A winch and a lot of radio. So far it hasn't caused me any issues except its leaking. Even last winter when I plowed snow using my winch it never started slow. But if I'm buying might as well upgrade.
I will agree with that 100%. Have you gotten a chance to look at the batt stats. I want be able to look till wed.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will look tomorrow night.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
According to my 900 XP Service Manual the battery is 450 CCA.

·
Registered
656 Posts
This is the specs in the odyssey 925.

SPECIFICATIONS
Pulse (5-second) Hot Cranking Amps (PHCA) 900
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) 330
20Hr Nominal Capacity (Ah) 28
Reserve Capacity Minutes 52
Dimensions L x W x H (in) 6.64 x 7.05 x 5.04
Metric Dimensions L x W x H (mm) 168.6 x 179 x 128
Weight (lbs) 28
Weight (kg)

here re is a chart of all the odyssey batteries.

http://www.odysseybattery.com/extreme_battery_specs.aspx

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The OEM battery is 32 amp/hr. I think it's safe to say that the Odyssey 925 battery has less capacity than the OEM battery. Less, but most of us are using it as a secondary, not a main battery.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The OEM battery is 32 amp/hr. I think it's safe to say that the Odyssey 925 battery has less capacity than the OEM battery. Less, but most of us are using it as a secondary, not a main battery.
Yea it was the only battery I could find that would fit in the battery spot with the stock still there.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
One thing I always found about battery's,,,, was the original factory was always the best and always lasted longer then any aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
One thing I always found about battery's,,,, was the original factory was always the best and always lasted longer then any aftermarket.
While that may well be true of many vehicles, it certainly is not the case for many UTVs - at least not in the past. The battery that came stock in my 2011 was a flooded Yuasa SLI battery that was a constant source of problems (though minor) when I started adding radios, lights, etc. Replaced it with a quality Odyssey AGM battery and haven't had a problem since. Conversely, the battery that came stock in my '13 RXR 900XP was in fact, a quality AGM - nearly comparable to the Odyssey 925. No idea what they are putting in the Rangers lately - but back in '11, it was the one from the lowest bidder!

The stock batteries (I'm guessing!) are designed for a "stock load" for which an SLI (Starting, Lighting, Ignition) was well suited. The rub comes when you add a significant load to the stock configuration - winch, radio, amps, additional halogen/LED lights, etc. Those 'new' loads push the limits of the stock batteries, especially when those loads are ran without the engine being run. As noted above, some of the specs of the original batteries are greater than that of the Odyssey batteries - but the untold story is longevity. SLI type batteries are designed to give high bursts of power, especially at startup. Can't beat an SLI battery for starting your machine! But when you factor in the more continuous loads of a radio, amp, and a 50" light bar, the SLI may experience a Depth of Discharge (DOD) that it was not designed to withstand for very long. Hence the reason a lot of guys add a deep cycle battery (or a hybrid like the Odyssey) to help with the 'new' loads. The deep cycle batteries are much better suited high for DOD situations.

Although EVERYBODY'S situation will be DIFFERENT, the following battery replacement/addition guidelines make sense - at least to me!

Stock Machine:
Any battery at least comparable to the OEM should work just fine. You should expect to get the same life out of your replacement battery as your original.

Stock Machine with minimal additions:
If you find that you have to recharge your battery manually from time to time, may be a good idea to consider a battery with deep cycle characteristics. A battery such as the Odyssey 925 has plenty of power to act as an SLI battery but has the added capability of being able to withstand high DOD demands - can be recharged many more times than a plain SLI.

Machine with a lot of additional loads:
May be time to consider a dual battery configuration or a single, larger battery. If you opt for the dual configuration, the second battery should be a deep cycle or hybrid battery. If your choice is to run two batteries in parallel (without an isolator), they need to be as close to identical as possible. A single, large deep cycle battery should also work fine. Won't get into the other pros and cons of single vs dual in this discussion.

Just my 2¢, YMMV

Reactions: JJaxon

·
Registered
91 Posts
I use a bluetop optima cut a piece of wood to fit in the lower tray where stock battery goes arms made it level. No problems works great and I have lots of things that need power. And I never need to charge it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts