PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a ranger 1000. Looking to get tires without having to lift it up. I live in Alaska so I need them to be good in mud/snow/muskeg. Thinking I should have enough clearance with 27 inch but I’m not sure. What are the best tires for Alaska conditions and how big can I go without having to go in and lift it and everything else?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Probably go as big as 28 or 29. I am not sure on the best tire though maybe itp crypted.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Where at in Alaska will you be riding the most?

I’m running the ITP CRYPTIDS now but I also was aiming for a more much geared tire that cleaned out at low speed.

Honestly for all around tires in Alaska the ITP Blackwaters do pretty dang good.

If you want something a little more aggressive system 3’s XT300’s ride smooth and flat out work.

The cryptids do ride rough ish at low speeds, the outback max tire road smoother and was 8ply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just got a ranger 1000. Looking to get tires without having to lift it up. I live in Alaska so I need them to be good in mud/snow/muskeg. Thinking I should have enough clearance with 27 inch but I’m not sure. What are the best tires for Alaska conditions and how big can I go without having to go in and lift it and everything else?
I don't live in Alaska, but I have the same question because I will be purchasing a new 2020 Crew 1000 this month and I'd like to know how big of tire will fit/clear without rubbing or having to lift. Haven't seen a definitive answer yet, perhaps because the new Ranger 1000 is just that...new. You and I might be the ones to figure it out! One feller on another thread said that the 27's off of the XP do not have any issues on the new non-XP 1000, but I'd like to know if 28's will clear, without having to buy a set and find out they rub.

·
Registered
79 Posts
+1 on the Blackwaters. I upgraded to Bighorns (the real ones, not the 2.0s) and would not do it again even though most Alaska dealers will recommend them. They don’t have enough lateral (sideways) traction and will slide on side hills and it’s hard to keep them on top of the ridges between tire ruts on well used trails. They’re also not too good in snow. The only reason I mentioned them is that you’re liable to have dealers tell you they’re the perfect all round tire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts