PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2013 midsize 800 EFI, I’m just curious what are some of the best mods to make it the best trail rig it can be. Right now it has a highlifter 2 inch lift, 2 inch wheel spacers, and mirrors. Just curious what other things would make it even better for rough trails and a little bit of mud.

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,996 Posts
IMHO, a lot depends upon the trails you ride and what you want your rig to do. One of the first mods I made was a good skid plate with protection for the rocker panels. The stock skids are weak and thin at best; floor boards and rockers are expensive to replace. Spend for a good skid up front and you won't spend twice for new rockers and floorboards and a skid plate.

I think a Duraclutch is another great option for trails. It provides engine braking, long belt life, smooth slow speed control.

Another nice add on is the SVI Traction Control, made by the same people who make the Duraclutch. This add on adds another dimension to the AWD feature in that it allows the front wheels to engage while the rear axle remains in Truf Mode (open differential). This saves the rear axle, specifically the planetary gears, reduces damage to trails, while allowing better turning on slippery trails with the front wheels pulling you around the corners without both back wheels trying to keep you going straight as they do with a locked rear axle.

Tires can make a big difference in how the vehicle acts on trails or in mud. Do a lot of research after determing the type terrain you ride most before plunking down money on tires. Considerations are traction on a given surface, tread wear, weight of the tire, sidewall protection, number of plies, diameter - and how it will affect your gearing and clearances as well as axle life. Find a compromise that suits your needs and budget bearing in mind that large diameter tires with high lifts usually equals more drive train wear and damage = more frequent repairs = more $$$ spent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IMHO, a lot depends upon the trails you ride and what you want your rig to do. One of the first mods I made was a good skid plate with protection for the rocker panels. The stock skids are weak and thin at best; floor boards and rockers are expensive to replace. Spend for a good skid up front and you won't spend twice for new rockers and floorboards and a skid plate.

I think a Duraclutch is another great option for trails. It provides engine braking, long belt life, smooth slow speed control.

Another nice add on is the SVI Traction Control, made by the same people who make the Duraclutch. This add on adds another dimension to the AWD feature in that it allows the front wheels to engage while the rear axle remains in Truf Mode (open differential). This saves the rear axle, specifically the planetary gears, reduces damage to trails, while allowing better turning on slippery trails with the front wheels pulling you around the corners without both back wheels trying to keep you going straight as they do with a locked rear axle.

Tires can make a big difference in how the vehicle acts on trails or in mud. Do a lot of research after determing the type terrain you ride most before plunking down money on tires. Considerations are traction on a given surface, tread wear, weight of the tire, sidewall protection, number of plies, diameter - and how it will affect your gearing and clearances as well as axle life. Find a compromise that suits your needs and budget bearing in mind that large diameter tires with high lifts usually equals more drive train wear and damage = more frequent repairs = more $$$ spent.
Thank you very much for the insight. I hadn’t even heard of a duraclutch or the SVI traction control but I will definitely look into it!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Since you won the lottery, I would recommend to invest in a newer model first and then mod it.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.