Mile marker

·
Registered
880 Posts
Superwinch

·
Registered
67 Posts
viper. had one onmy grizzly and it never failed me. ive got a 5k on my ranger.

·
Rally Committee
2,988 Posts
Welcome to PRC.

I'll throw another choice in there for ya, Venom :lol:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I love my Warn XT40

So did we miss any??? LOL

·
Registered
575 Posts
no now for Model break down. :D

POPO 4500 on my Ranger 800XP
Viper Elite 4500 on my XP 900

·
Registered
60 Posts
WARN is da best - if PRICE is no object that is...

·
Registered
880 Posts
I will say this, my Polaris winch cable is all rusty and frade where my Superwinch cable is 2 years older with no rust and shines like new. (Same conditions: Lot of mud and water) I'm not very impressed with the Polaris winch cable.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I've got a Warn RT40. I had good luck w/ their 8274 back in the 80s, so I went w/ a Warn unit on my Ranger.

·
Premium Member
6,273 Posts
Well there ya go, Dan - you need to get a Vipervenomwarnsuperwinchpolaris :!: Seriously, if you dig through all winch posts, you will find praises and horror stories about nearly every make and model of winch. You are probably better off just finding a vendor you trust that will stand behind their product - and hope like heck you don't get a lemon :shock: Personally, I have had been impressed with Motoalliance and their Viper Elite product.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Like Forde said, you'll hear praise and horror about the same winches. Personally, I've got a Venom that I've had good service out of, and the Viper's are pretty much the same. Lot of value for the money. I've even read some of the members praising Harbor Freight winches. I'd just be sure and get a 4000lb or better. A 1200lb Ranger that's stuck can take a little help. :lol:

·
Registered
571 Posts
I agree with Richard. When a ranger goes down it takes a lot to get it out. At least 4000 lb and have a snatch block just in case. A tree saver, a heavy clevis or two and an extra cable rated at 8000lb if using a snatch block.

I think the brands of winches are on a continuum from less expensive with perhaps less features or less quality to very expensive with more features or more quality. Deciding on what you will need it for will be an indication to some extent how much you will pay, just like anything else. There are always exceptions to broad sweeping comments like this and I am sure it is true for winches as well.

Personally, I have had great success with Warn. Because I have been successful with them I have not gone to the other brands listed earlier. And I really like synthetic rope. Just my opinion based on what I do, what I value, and how lucky (or unlucky) I have been. I suppose never needing a winch would make me lucky in some ways. Then again, never getting stuck means never pushing the limits.

Buy what you like and don't look back if possible. A dealer who provides service is huge.

Get out and have fun!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Warn XT40 with a multi-mount setup...I can use it on the front or rear. Be prepared...it is not cheap pricewise.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Dan
Ramsey Honcho 5000
You never see these here but other reviews say they are great. USA made w/lifetime warranty :idea: I have the same set-up as Kenneth and would add that it's important to have wireless remote control capability :idea:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
X3 on the multimount set up. I built my own "carrier" & used an EMP front mount & receiver for my 500.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I'd pay the extra price if they made one with a "spooler"? (don't know what the correct name is)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts