PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
revrnd said:
X3 on the multimount set up. I built my own "carrier" & used an EMP front mount & receiver for my 500.
With the multi-mount setup I can keep the winch stored away in one of the rear cargo boxs...not exposed to dirt, water, mud, dust, etc. This will help with winch maintenance and reliability.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Viper for me

I have a Viper Elite 4500 on my Ranger. Winch is great and strong. I shorted it out by not checking my wiring connections at the winch. I called Motoalliance to see about sending it for repair. The gave me the information and I filled out the return form. I sent them my winch and controls. This was all out of warranty. They fixed my winch and sent me all new upgraded controls at no charge. Motoalliance stands behind their winches. For me they did. Great service from a great company to deal with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
winch decision

I wrestled for a long time over this same issue and against the advice of friends, family and my dealer, settled on the Superwinch due to price. I spent a Saturday installing it, hit the switch and "click". The motor was dead shorted. So, I uninstalled everything and re-boxed it. Then I ordered the Warn rt40 that had been recommended to me. It has been smooth and flawless. I wish I'd gotten the Warn first.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
willtim said:
You get what you pay for.
If that's a shot @ Superwinch, I'd say that's uncalled for. They've been around quite a while, I recall them making winches for 4x4s in the 80s. Someone posted a while back that when he mentioned Ramsey winches, someone replied that they'd never heard of them. I think Noah had a Ramsey winch on his ark.

Personally, some of the winches I hear mentioned on PRC, I've never heard of & I've been around 4x4s since the late 70s.

·
Registered
880 Posts
My Superwinch (Terra 45) is fast and will strong! The only problem I have is the solinoid getting corosion in it, as did my Polaris winch.

Not long ago Peterson Offroad magazine did a test on all the winch brands, everything from Warn to Harbor Freight. Even for them a lot of winches didn't work straight out of the box. Majority couldn't pull the load they was classified for without busting internal gears. It was a good test, I came away with the conclusion that none are perfect.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ok not to change the subject or anything :D but does anybody know of a good winch accserories kit.

you know all the normal stuff block, strap, and so on.

I have the 4500lbs one that come stock with the Browning Ed.

Any suggestions :?:

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Eugene said:
Venom I have owned 3 and all are very good. I think the other snake brand is a copy of the original. Venom

Actually, the guy who runs VENOM winches used to work for us at Motoalliance about five years ago. He upped and left one Friday morning and the next thing we know, he's selling winches about six weeks later. He also runs XTREME winches as a way to flood the Ebay market with two brands.

In terms of companies, we are a full-fledged powersports' company with 11 employees and design our own products -- some made right here in the USA, some overseas. We have 200+ dealers selling our products. The person running Venom, from what I can tell and what I know of the import market, appears to import China-designed stock winches and sells them under his private label brands of Venom and Xtreme. This practice is very common. KFI, Champion, Superwinch, Runva, etc. are all the same winch coming from the same mass-produced China assembly line -- then a different label is slapped on each one.

This does not mean, of course, that all those winches are bad and Viper winches are good. I just wanted to clarify the differences in the companies and how they are run. We have tried to follow the WARN model in designing our own winches and having (hopefully) greater measures of QC as a result. And because we don't go through the big distributors like Tucker Rocky and Parts Unlimited, we can save an additional 25-30% or so off WARN prices.

Hope some of that helps. Have a great night and weekend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For those of you who have the muti-mount winch setups, for use in front or back. how do you run your power cables? Do you have power plugs front and back, or do you have long cables that hook up to the battery when you mount it front or back?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Warn has a wiring kit for multi mounts. I think it was designed for UTVs w/ the battery mounted up front. For my 2011 500, I had to rework 2 of the cables for the rear mount.

The wires use typical quick connects.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Rbaker said:
For those of you who have the muti-mount winch setups, for use in front or back. how do you run your power cables? Do you have power plugs front and back, or do you have long cables that hook up to the battery when you mount it front or back?
The Warn multi-mount comes with a 120" set of cables to run to the rear...you will have power plugs for both the front and rear. You will also need a receiver mount for the front of the Ranger. I used the Polaris front receiver that mounts behind the front bumper.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
WARN has a nice set up to be sure if that's what you end up with.

We also have a multi-mount set up available. Fixed front with mobile back or mobile back and front. Might be quite a bit less than WARN. If you're interested, give us a shout at 1-866-527-7637 and Rhonda/Lisa/Maureen can see what you need and if it might be a fit. You get a 5% discount as a PRC guy too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I have used the heck out of my viper winch and no problems to date! I usually use it to pull out rhinos and can-ams lol.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts