PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So yesterday I was doing snow cleanup again and started hearing what I thought was a CV or U joint when moving forward.
Put it on the lift and started looking around shaking, turning drive shafts and noticed that the front joint on the drive shaft going to the front diff. had a couple of shiny spots on the yoke.
Looking further I found that the yoke was hitting the frame and discovered the root cause.
The frame was torn out where the 2 front bolts hold the diff. to the frame because the front diff was moving flexing the mounting point
what I think happened is : while in low and in 4wd with the plow blade down and packing snow banks it created a high torque situation and over the years that area became very stressed and flexing it finally gave out .
I went over to my neighbor and he took the broken piece out and mig welded in a new patch and added a extra cross piece to distribute the stress point out further.

The other alternative is to replace the frame

The bottom line is: If you are stuck in mud,snow packing snow banks in low and 4wd a lot, pay close attention to where the front diff. bolts to the frame.
look for any cracks near where it bolts in and the close surrounding area.
Hope to get a couple of pictures soon

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Pictures of the repair, I also added a rib across just behind the front bolts. 2x4 inch piece broke completely off, cut a new plate and welded in.
The 1st picture :
Green arrow shows front of vehicle and the red arrow shows rib added
2nd picture shows :
The red circle is the plate that was welded in replacing piece broken out.
red line indicated second crack that was repaired
yellow line is to show added rib

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I added the SuperATV frame stiffener to the front of mine. Don't have the snow issue here and i don't abuse mine but in that area the frame was already start to bend in places due to some rock crawling one time.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I added the Super ATV frame stiffener to the front of mine. Don't have the snow issue here and i don't abuse mine but in that area the frame was already start to bend in places due to some rock crawling one time.
I looked at the Super ATV frame stiffener. Although it looks to be a stout product it still does not address my issue, there is no additional support for the area that the front diff. bolts to.
Super ATV has that area open and the plate does not bolt to the diff, if they could manufacturer a plate that was able to be bolted with all the recesses and angles I would buy it. It is not a flat area and the recess tapers front to back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts