PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Polaris Ranger 900XP
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Polaris Ranger 900xp. When I first get on the throttle quick like it’s bogs down and spits around for a second then as I increase to anything g above 5mph it’s completely fine. Any ideas? Tried searching but all roads lead to bad fuel pump but it runs amazing anything after 5mphs. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Get a fuel pressure tester and test. That will answer questions about the fuel pump. Check your intake boots for cracks. That has been a problem on some 900s. Spray some carb spray around the boots, top, sides and bottom with the engine idling. Note whether the engine speed changes while doing so. A small crack in an intake boot can cause a lean condition which may cause stumble off idle.

Reactions: RJ

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get a fuel pressure tester and test. That will answer questions about the fuel pump. Check your intake boots for cracks. That has been a problem on some 900s. Spray some carb spray around the boots, top, sides and bottom with the engine idling. Note whether the engine speed changes while doing so. A small crack in an intake boot can cause a lean condition which may cause stumble off idle.
just replaced those about a month ago.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I ordered a fuel pump. I’m betting that’s the cause.
You mean hoping. That's why Pyro suggested testing first.

Could possibly be your tps/ gas pedal is going south. Always best to test first before throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You mean hoping. That's why Pyro suggested testing first.

Could possibly be your tps/ gas pedal is going south. Always best to test first before throwing parts at it.
ok, will do thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick question though, if it were a compression issue wouldn’t it run bad throughout the throttle?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Reactions: pyromedic

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Quick question though, if it were a compression issue wouldn’t it run bad throughout the throttle?
A engine with bad compression will be harder to start and slow on the lowest end but actually run pretty normal high/low end and mid to high end.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A engine with bad compression will be harder to start and slow on the lowest end but actually run pretty normal high/low end and mid to high end.
accompanied by sputtering and popping on the slowest end?

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
vortec, check the fuel pressure . That is ALWAYS the place to start on a Polaris that has symptoms. Especially if it has never been changed before.

Reactions: RJ and pyromedic

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Sputtering and popping can be a fuel pump, it can also be several other things, spark plugs, sticking valves, valve lash out of adjustment, weak valve springs, TPS and more. Testing fuel pump is an easy sure fire way to eliminate that as the problem. Fuel pumps are also common issues. If it were me, I'd replace spark plugs unless it's been done recently or as recommended by frequency, read the old plugs just for good measure and if that didn't resolve the issue test the fuel pump before moving on. Do easy low/no cost things first, assure those things are proper then move on to other tests. As stated by RJ, throwing parts are it is an expensive, time consuming, inefficient, frustrating way to fix it, if you do fix it that way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First move was replace plugs. Still did it so moving onto a fuel pressure test and if that’s ok then onto a compression test.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Test is always best. Some people throw ten parts at it and then come here for help. At that point, many variables are in the mix. Makes it real complicated sometimes. China knockoffs do make life exciting!!...🤬

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Still waiting to test fuel pressure but today it did something really weird. I started it and it idled HORRIBLY. Wouldn’t even do anything I’ve I touched the throttle. Almost acted like it wanted to stall but it never did. Tried taking it for a spin and it just crept slowly and would stall bad if I touches the pedal. Then today it started right up and idled good and I took it for a spin. Still has the bad hesitation and sputter right off the line but once it climbs out of that it runs good. So I don’t know.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Vor, quit stewing until you get the fuel pressure checked. You will drive yourself goofier than Ranger Nitwhit. Not unusual for a trashed fuel pump to operate normally for a few clicks.

Reactions: Rangerwhit
1 - 20 of 32 Posts