PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a set of Sumo Brake pads to my 2009 Polaris Ranger 700 Crew Cab. Three of the four sets of pads went on fine. However, my right rear pads were very difficult to position around my disk. I had my piston(s) fully retracted and had to tap the pad casing with a rubber mallet to position them around the disk so I could install the two supporting bolts. I was hoping once in place they would seat fine but this did not happen. The wheel would not turn as the new pads were binding on the disk. I pumped the brakes multiple times and drove it in forward and in reverse hoping the wheel would free up. This did not happen. The disk got very hot and I noticed the pads/brakes smelled like they were over heating. Has anybody had this problem or can offer any suggestions? What is odd is three of the four sets of pads installed just fine.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Either one wrong set of pads or you have a caliper or brake line problem.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Try it on one of the other calipers.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
I responded to this in another thread. Make sure you have the adjustment screw all the way out when installing new pads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK Problem solved. Thanks for everyone's feedback. Much appreciated. I went ahead and removed the brake pads and tried to install the pair from the other rear wheel. They were also too snug for my comfort. I inspected the disk and made sure it was not warped. It was fine. I made sure the pistons were compressed and there was not problem there. A local motorcycle mechanic told me to check that the oil in my reservoir was not hitting at the lid level and to remove the lid and place rags around it. no problem there as well. So, I then purchased a pair of Polaris OEM pads and paid the big bucks for them from my local dealer. They fit perfect! The Sumo Brake Pads were simply too thick. My guess is around 1/32 too thick x 2 pads and it made a big difference. No more after market brake pads for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts