PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I haven't drove my ranger much over the summer but now that hunting season is here I've knocked the dust off it a few times. Well it seems to me that I am having to really push the brake pedal hard before it starts. I seem to remember just having to lightly tap the brake but now I gotta push hard to the floor. Also the brake lights don't come on till the pedal is way down.
Does something need adjusted in the brake?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I'm hearing this a lot on the newer stuff, some have fixed it with a good cleaning and greasing of the pressure switch connector others say it's a bad batch of switches.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
695 Posts
My 2018 1000 is doing the same thing. It will start if I pump the brake pedal a couple of times.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My 2018 1000 is doing the same thing. It will start if I pump the brake pedal a couple of times.
Yep! You're on stage 2 of the failure! Keep doing that and you'll get to stage 3 where you have to jump it or replace it.
I believe the diaphragm is faulty inside and leaks fluid behind it. Once that happens it no longer has a pressure difference which is used to change the contact.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I had another odd problem yesterday. Turn on key, and no dash lights or anything. Got voltmeter to check battery voltage and it was good, then the dash lights came on. The negative battery terminal nut was completely loose. I have never touched it so not sure how that can even happen, it appears to be a locking nut?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Others have stated issues of loose battery terminals as well. All I know is since I have mine taken apart at the moment, the guy on the assembly line either had a bad previous night or was listening to some good music as there were several plastic plugs missing that hold the body panels together.

·
Registered
133 Posts
May not be the switch failure cause but keep in mind that is a very small microswitch. Be sure to press the brake pedal before turning the ignition switch on. With the switch on, then pressing the pedal, some arcing could occur across the small brake switch contacts. Over a short time that could damage the brake switch contacts.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
With the switch on, then pressing the pedal, some arcing could occur across the small brake switch contacts. Over a short time that could damage the brake switch contacts.
I think that's just a control side switch as it also let's the brake lights know to turn on. Meaning there is power to the switch all the time ( at least while the key is in the on position ). Which means every time you press the brake while riding it could arc.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Guys, the switch isn't and doesn't arc because there is no load on it! The brake switch feeds a "digital input" on the ECM which has high impedance (= very low current, in the mA range). The code/programming within the ECM is what controls a "digital out" which fires the brake lights. Thus, there is no direct electrical link between the brake switch and the brake lights.

As the schematics show, the brake switch signal is "split" as one leg feeds directly into the ECM and the other leg feeds the key switch. There is a starter relay that the key switch immediately feeds when the key is turned to the crank position. Any current required by the starter relay's pull coil is surely greater than what the brake switch contacts and wiring can handle, so this circuit is most likely fed by a higher current supply off the key switch (as it is a multi terminal key switch). Go ahead and compare the wire gauge of the brake switch wires to the coil side of starter relay (not the contact/starter motor side of the relay).

The 262 brake switch is just a POS and fails early due to its design. This is why none of the dealers are bickering about changing it out- because they know that it is a POS switch and that it does not matter whether your foot is on the brake first or if you turn the key switch to start first. I don't think I have heard from anyone that they were ever told by a dealer that their switch failed because their foot was not on the brake first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree. I was just trying to state that it would be an issue all the time not just at start up if it was due to an arc issue. I poorly wrote my response.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree. I was just trying to state that it would be an issue all the time not just at start up if it was due to an arc issue.
10-4 your logic is correct because after the engine is started, half that circuit does not get used again (until the next crank cycle). The other half only gets used when you put your foot on the brake as the ECM has to detect this in order to fire the output which lights the brake lights. If there were arcing, this would indicate an excessive amount of current through the brake switch.

Reactions: Bartz118
1 - 13 of 13 Posts