PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2020 ranger crew 1000 xp this week. When I loaded it on my trailer from the dealer, the fuel gauge showed empty so I went and fueled it up until the nozzle shut off. It only showed I put a little over 6 gallons in. So I tried fueling up more at a slower rate thinking maybe the shutoff malfunctioned. It only put in maybe another quarter gallon so I stopped and put the cap on and went on my way to the house. I get home and go to unload it and notice the gauge is only showing 1 bar above half a tank. I pull the cap off and check with a flashlight to see where the level actually is and it looks full. Is there a learning time for this fuel gauge or do I have a faulty one? Anyone else have this issue before and if so was the fix for them to replace the sending unit?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I bought my 2020 ranger crew 1000 xp this week. When I loaded it on my trailer from the dealer, the fuel gauge showed empty so I went and fueled it up until the nozzle shut off. It only showed I put a little over 6 gallons in. So I tried fueling up more at a slower rate thinking maybe the shutoff malfunctioned. It only put in maybe another quarter gallon so I stopped and put the cap on and went on my way to the house. I get home and go to unload it and notice the gauge is only showing 1 bar above half a tank. I pull the cap off and check with a flashlight to see where the level actually is and it looks full. Is there a learning time for this fuel gauge or do I have a faulty one? Anyone else have this issue before and if so was the fix for them to replace the sending unit?
Same problem here, tell the dealer to reset the cluster.
Every time they reset mine, it helps for a couple of rides and after that it shows the same problem.
I gave up after 8 resets and learned that after the gauge show no gas, I still have 3.5 gallons left in the tank.
The problem started from day one, I thought to myself, why the dealership couldn't fill up the tank all the way and leaving one dot less according to the fuel gauge.
I went back with the machine 6 times for the same problem and Polaris said if I need reset in the future they'll authorize the reset and gave me a coupon to spend with Polaris gear.
Total 6 weeks of the machine in the shop.
Try to fill up very slowly towards the end and you're going to be able to fit 10 gallons in the tank, otherwise I can only fit 7-8 if go fast.
I hope this helps
Ron

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, glad I’m not the only one! It’s a little frustrating since it’s a brand new machine. I definitely don’t want it to be a recurring thing. You’d think they would be able to fix that.

·
Registered
704 Posts
This was an issue that was discussed last spring when I bought mine. Will not show a full tank even though its coming up the filler neck. Is the tank vented? I'm in the middle of fixing a vapor capture tank on my Xterra that when the line or valve gets full of dust slows the fill rate to near nothing. Possible vent issue on the Rangers?
Polaris busy trying to keep from going broke after buying that boat group?

·
Registered
502 Posts
No vent issue on mine that's why they were scratching there heads even when they swapped the pump or looked for ground fault or anything else.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No vent issue on mine that's why they were scratching there heads even when they swapped the pump or looked for ground fault or anything else.

That’s what I’m worried about. Taking it back and having them fix it but not really fix it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
That’s what I’m worried about. Taking it back and having them fix it but not really fix it.
I stopped worrying about it a long time ago, I accepted the situation, learned how to deal with it and moved on by refiling the tank when it reaches 1 dot knowing I still have 3-4 gallons remaining.
Have them reset the cluster just so they see that you have a problem already and not look at it after the warranty is over if you did nothing.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Seems like you could just give the float arm a little tweak to get it to read properly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems like you could just give the float arm a little tweak to get it to read properly.
And that might be what needs to happen. I’m gonna dig a little and see what the ohm readings should be from the sending unit and see how mine compare to a working one. Just curious at this point really. I’ll take it in and have them reset the cluster or whatever they deem is the problem and then go from there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would imagine so. Regular cars and trucks have them so I’d assume these do as well but I honestly don’t know. This is my first side by side so I’m learning as I go. I’m a mechanic so I feel confident I could at least head in the right direction if I had some sort of wiring diagram, a pin out and some voltage/ohm specs to go by.

I know to some this might just be something to leave alone but it’s a brand new machine that isn’t cheap. I want everything to work at least for a little while or until the factory warranty is up. But it’s just frustrating that it’s not working from the get go.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I was thinking that it might be a resistive unit. Basically a float that goes up and down on a tube versus a float on the end of wire. Maybe will have to get out the optical cable veiwer and take a look as to how the vent tube is terminated in the frame. No reason the tank should need to be burped to fill it full.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Ok today I investigated the vent line. Polaris has it terminating into the frame tube with a little plastic slotted device. I got the vent line off and it apparently has a check valve at the tank so that it takes a bit of pressure from the tank to open and preventing something from getting sucked into the tank. Problem is that when we try to fill there is no venting to allow to fill all the way before gas runs out the fill hole like the 88-91 ford diesel pickups one had to run the fill side tire up on a block to tilt to get a full charge

1 - 15 of 15 Posts