PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
clevealaska said:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Here is a link I have read I tend to agree with this System what do you guys think?????

Pretty well my Moto FLOOR IT......Polaris would probly disagree but if it breaks its your fault and they won't warranty it anyway might as well have fun with it........On a serious note this really how I break in everything I own Just like Im going to drive it. I actually followed the right breakin procedure one time on a boat motor. Buddy bought his same day and ran it like he stole it. Neither one of us has ever had and problems. I don't think it matters that much but im know engineer either. I build fences. lol

·
Registered
851 Posts
There's a difference of abuse and running like you stole it (hard) . I run hard out of the gate but make sure all my maintenance is wee done . I've had many cars and never lost a motor ,smoke or burn oil in any way . I use good fluids and change regularly .

·
Registered
928 Posts
Agree witch that , and it work for 2 cycles motor to , first " rode witch non synthetic oïl , one thank of oïl injection on 2 cycles , only one thing , you have to rode is the belt . :wink:

·
Registered
975 Posts
My Ol' Man raised me, with the same philosophy.... Break it in, how your gonna run it. I agree totally with the above article. Though this is the first time I've ever read anything supporting this method of break-in, I know a lot of folks that believe in it. I do however, usually change the oil a lot sooner than most break-in services call for. Did my first service on this one at 15hrs, instead of 25 (also all fluids). Following service at next 25hrs. The rest, I just follow the maintenance schedule. Unless I've been on a few rough rides. Never any problems (that weren't justified anyway).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I oredered 2 quarts of 20w 50 lucas break-in oil for the first 2 hrs of run time.
I am wanting to warm it up run it 15 min 0 to 1/4 trottle let it cool 1 hr then 1/4 to 1/2 trottle 1.5 hr cool then 1/2 to 3/4 trottle 2 hr cool then just go run it up some big hills wfo for short bursts and run it for 30 min's take it back home drain the oil and replace with 5w 50 mobile rally formula. then just run it

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
Chris, don't overthink the break in of the engine. Sometimes, by running it at part throttle, it actually generates some extra heat. I would just run it a couple of hours with whatever oil came in it at varying throttle, then change the oil. Run it at varying throttle and include a little wide open throttle for the next few hours and then change the oil one more time. Granted, you probably don't even need to do that but it seems I have had good luck doing this. The only time I ever babied a motor, I had nothing but trouble and it used oil a lot. Besides, I will be surprised if you will be able to keep your foot out of it anyway!!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Keep water and oil levels full ,change oil as needed and always keep temps where they need to be and run as you will always run . Everyone talks about breakin oil .Is it the oil or time frame ? I believe oil has something to do with it but I also know some people don't change the "breakin oil" as required .

·
Registered
577 Posts
late to this thread as always, Chris sounds lil she has owned many a outboard motor. The way he describes break in is just as most outboard mFg said to break in their motors. Drivve it like a car/truck is my thinking. no one thinks twice about breaking in a car/truck/motorcycle... Now that been said if its a 2 stroke Im breaking it in like Chris, no questions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts