PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Ranger and I helped out on a Boy Scout Eagle Project today moving about 80+ cubic feet of dirt. The boys filled the bed to about the top and then I drove 400 yards to dump it. Things were going well until someone closed the tailgate. I didn't realize it was closed when I lifted the dump bed. The weight of the dirt caused the bed to hyper extend and it broke the top fitting of the shock for the bed.

Is the fitting something I can fix or do I need to buy the entire shock? It looks like it was all part of the shock so I suspect I'm on the hook for a new shock assembly. :(

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
I broke 3 of them on my old Ranger (mainly because the weight of my rear cage) until I figured out that they are weak and need to be babied. The case end piece can be removed and replaced with something you can fab' up without much difficulty. Polaris doesn't sell that piece separately.

·
Super Moderator
6,838 Posts
My Ranger and I helped out on a Boy Scout Eagle Project today moving about 80+ cubic feet of dirt. The boys filled the bed to about the top and then I drove 400 yards to dump it. Things were going well until someone closed the tailgate. I didn't realize it was closed when I lifted the dump bed. The weight of the dirt caused the bed to hyper extend and it broke the top fitting of the shock for the bed.

Is the fitting something I can fix or do I need to buy the entire shock? It looks like it was all part of the shock so I suspect I'm on the hook for a new shock assembly. :(
As jerry said, you can fab up a new Clevis, or purchase a new one. You may not have to purchase one from Polaris,
the auto parts stores usually carry some that might work. Just need the measurements from your original. Retracted and extended length, I would also check the shaft diameter and the shock body diameter.
When you install the new one, make a limiter strap for it out of some cable.

Reactions: HRTKD

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, limiter strap! That's a really good idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I should have looked here when the first shock broke a week or 2 after I got my 2014. Never a problem with the 2004 series 11. Now I have a new one broken, and I have not used it hard at all. Certainly not to the 1500 pound rating. About level full of dry firewood which I would have to lift to start the dump. Anybody have a reasonable way to get word back to Polaris that their shocks are just flimsy, all-be-it very expensive? I will be adding a limiter strap - good idea!

·
Registered
69 Posts
i just replaced both of my lift struts on my 2003 6x6 got them from liftsupports.com like $17.00 a piece way cheaper than PO. i also put a stronger strut on i think 67 lb rate stock is about 30l bs. Your part number is probably different than mine if you can get the part # cross reference to work email them great customer svc.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestion. Did you mean LiftSupportsDepot.com?

·
Registered
69 Posts
yep thats them

·
Registered
68 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Dealer replaced the part under warranty. I like the limiter strap concept.

Discraftpro

·
Registered
58 Posts
I like the limit strap idea too. Can you tell us where you attach it? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,838 Posts
I like the limit strap idea too. Can you tell us where you attach it? Thanks
These are some different ideas, that you can expand on.

You can use the existing clevis pins that hold the bed shock ( there is plenty of room between the clevis and the frame mount), take some small diameter cable ( coated or non) with clamps.
Loop one end and clamp, then loop the other end, probably need an extra pair of hands, pull down on bed, adjust and tighten cable on the other end. Check and make sure the cable is not interfering with any thing.

This one, I plan on doing just have not got to it yet.
I am planning on using one of the retractable strap style tiedowns. This way the strap will never interfere with anything.

Reactions: Cthomas

·
Super Moderator
6,838 Posts
would there be any problem with a slightly longer shock length. the box will only open so far for me.
There are to many variables to you question. You would have to try it for your own application.
Example. If you had a bumper ( all made differently) and had larger tires ( which are also different, and include different air pressure) with no lift. The bumper would hit the tires before the shock could fully extend.

There are no hard stops for the bed height, the limiter is the lift strut ( or bumper touching the tires) which is not a real good idea. The aluminum clevis are easy to break.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
I attached coated 1/4" cable with cable clamps to a bolt through the frame with washers and a locknut.....then did the same on the bed. Using cable and cable clamps makes adjustment easy and infinite (until you ran out of cable). Keep in mind that the further forward (toward the cab) that you attach it, the less stress will be on the cable and attachment points.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What are you guys doing with your limit strap to ensure that it doesn't get caught up in anything or rub against the tires?

·
Super Moderator
6,838 Posts
What are you guys doing with your limit strap to ensure that it doesn't get caught up in anything or rub against the tires?
Are you referring to wheel limit straps or the bed limit straps?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bed limit straps. RiverRunner has a nice built-in limit "strap". Unfortunately, I'm running the OEM size tires so I don't think that will work for me.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts