PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2015 900xp i was trying to take my tire off to fix a wheel bearing in the drivers side rear and broke 2 lug nuts off in the wheel... anyone have any good ideas? the wheels are msa m12 diesels

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
You broke the nuts? That can't be right. Perhaps you could provide a little better description of your problem.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i broke the lug nuts in half... they ripped open.and the bell end of the nut is stuck in the rim on the lug.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got one out so far

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i drill the lug out and then sat there and chiseled the nut until it came off.. thank god we have a 2 post lift in the equipment shed and lots of tools on the farm

·
Registered
568 Posts
Wow, I've never had that happen. In the first pic it looks like it's an aluminum lug nut with a steel insert. I think I'd be applying some antisieze compound on the mating surface during reassembly.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I know mine are on really tight as well. Do you think heat would help break them loose, penetrating oil, or both?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Here are some thoughts:
Most decorative factory nuts are nothing more that a thin cap the goes over the steel nut and due to the over use tightening with a impact gun or not being directly square on the nut will cause the cap to crack or the improper size socket.

Also there is a possibility of between the chrome cap and the steel nut oxidizing and causing it to swell and the proper socket will not fit right.
they make special sockets for them and also it is recommended to use a torque wrench.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Well, I've been to one world's fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the first time I ever saw anything like that.

I think I'd be trying heat, lube and impact before I drilled and chiseled.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Yeap......somebody started the nuts sticking out of the end of a socket on the end of a IMPACT WRENCH.....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
here is the first on that broke after i got it out what a pain

Attachments

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
A friend split two deep well sockets with a 18" rachet trying take off the lugs from his Razor wheel.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Those spline nuts are stupid. That’s what came with my set of wheels. I had never seen them before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
354 Posts
Those spline nuts are to deter theft of wheels , my guess is some one hammered them on with a 900 foot lb IR impact gun with the air regulator cranked up to around 135 or higher and laid on the trigger for maybe 12 impacts ( I don't want the wheel to fall off ! )
And the cheaply made sockets will cause all kinds of problems
The spline nuts are supposed to be installed by hand!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have never seen nothing like that, I thought u broke the stud off when I first read, that's crazy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts