PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried plastic welding body panels? My son's 170 has a cracked hood and I can't see paying $500 馃 for a new one.

Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
The tailgate on my 2015 Ranger 570 XP cracked soon after I got it. I disassembled the tailgate and used a Harbor freight plastic welder to weld it back together from the inside. It's still holding up today.

If I ever have to do it again the one thing I will do is to get some aluminum window screen and melt it into the plastic as a reinforcement, much like laying up Fiberglas.

There are some pretty good videos on YouTube showing plastic welding of automotive bumpers that may help.

There are also plastic staplers today which look interesting.
Just put on your bug spray before you watch the video.;)

Less than $30 on Amazon

Maybe a combination of the two would work well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@pyromedic thanks for the info I will give it a try. I wonder how hard it would be to make it blend in on the top side?

Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
@pyromedic thanks for the info I will give it a try. I wonder how hard it would be to make it blend in on the top side?
In my case the crack barely shows on the outside so I didn't worry about it. I would imagine that if you install the staples or screen from the back side and then use the same finishing procedures auto body people use to finish plastic bumpers the repair would probably be invisible from the outside. Of course this would involve filling and painting with special fillers and paints made for plastics. I'm pretty sure you could color match even though the rest of the body has the color molded into the plastic by using a good auto body paint supplier.

Reactions: shadebaby

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just ordered the staple kit (without the mosquitoes). We will see how it goes. Thanks again for thr help.

Registered
Carbon fiber vinyl wrap the hood. Or a strategically placed racing stripe to cover the fix.
3m 1080 is good material.

Reactions: shadebaby

Registered
Assuming I at any point need to rehash it the one thing I will do is to get some aluminum window screen and liquefy it into the plastic as a support, similar as laying up Fiberglas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts