PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...I had a minor problem on the Zoe ride. I broke the input yoke to the rear diff' from the diveshaft. The piece that bolts to the E-brake rotor. I've got new parts coming from Dustin at High Point and want to hear some thoughts on 2 things: (1)The service manual says I either need to loosen the rear diff' mount or the tranny mount to allow installation of the driveshaft. Anybody had any experience with that and is it completely necessary? (2)My sway bar is bent right above where the driveshaft turned loose. It was not like that when I cleaned it before the ride, so it had to happen sometime on the trail that day. Now granted, I wasn't babying it all day, but also hadn't hit anything hard enough to bend something THAT thick...it's about an inch or so thick. Is it possible that the driveshaft caused the bend? I just can't see it being bent by the driveshaft. It also appears to be bent backward (toward the rear) and not upward, like you'd imagine it would be had the driveshaft caused the damage. I'm gonna remove it and bend it back straight....or as close as I can get it with the press. The yoke and U-joints should be here on Wed or Thurs and I'm gonna try to get it back up before Saturday. I just don't wanna lossen the diff' or tranny mounts if I don't absolutely HAVE to.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Jerry,

I don't know much about the mechanics of rangers, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last weekeend......no wait, that was the TravelWise.....anyway.......

Send an email to Oneal about the sway bar. I believe he has an issue with his also.

There were a bunch of these guys working on Jeff's ranger when we were in Windrock about a year and a half ago doing something with the driveshaft. Someone will chime in soon I'm sure.

~Lynette

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
Jerry, the bad news is the sway bars are hollow, so it wouldn't take much to bend it. I would bet that the drive shaft hit it.

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Curt.....THAT would explain it! I can't believe that they're tubing!!! I just assumed it was solid. I'll solve THAT problem....lol. OK, so any ideas about the necessity of having to loosen the diff' or tranny mounts to reinstall the driveshaft?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Jerry , I wouldn't worry about the rear diff, I had to take mine out to fix the threads for the drain and it took about thirty minutes to take it out. I would think you could take the four bolts, 3/8's that holds the diff to the bottom plate out and you will probably have enough movement of the diff to get the yoke and coupler out, worth a try anyway. Everything comes apart with a 9/16 socket. The big nut on the axle is the only thing that's not 9/16. The suspension is all 3/8's bolts also.

·
Registered
727 Posts
We changed out Jeff's rear diff in Windrock and it is easy. Four bolts. You will need a 1/4 inch pin punch and new roll pins for the shaft.
The sway bar is mild steel tubing. Not the best sway bar Iv'e seen. I used a 1 inch go-kart axel to make my new one. 1 inch mild steel schedule 40 should work fine.

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. The parts should be here this evening or tomorrow morning. I'll tackle it then....shouldn't be too bad from the sound of it. Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts