PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the reverse chain let go last weekend riding. Tore down my original gearcase that the diff lock let go in and made a parts list. Case halves have came way down in the last year making it much more feasible to fix. No other damage was incurred other than the left half case and locking diff. I will be installing a RZR 900 spool in place of the original turf mode locker. I enjoy riding and have come to the realization that I am not going to give up using reverse, in the mud, in an off camber situation, or anywhere else for that matter. Turner is 6-8 weeks out every time you call them, so in a mad dash I reached out to a few social media groups hoping to find a Turner on the shelf somewhere, but struck out.

What I did find out though is that there is another option to the Turner double reverse upgrade, which I ordered yesterday. If his shipment comes in on time, I will be trying out a reverse chain that has a gear reduction to reduce stress on the chain as well as being a larger chain than the original. It is the same size as the Highlifter Edition (30% stronger) but is a higher quality material. (He has sourced his own chains and is not using the stock Polaris one) The price is about half of what Turner is charging, which is still a tad high for what it should cost (using Polaris part prices as a model for what machining should cost) but I used to be a machinist, and hobbing gears is not rocket science. One operation needs to be done on a 3 axis mill, (the driven reverse/shift gear) the rest is done in a turning center and a gear hobb.

Just so people will realize how badly polaris screwed the pooch on this one I will show some pics. There is not an easy fix to this do to the space limitations. Daniel Turner figured it out, albeit very expensively. Polaris and Highlifter realized the huge diansour egg that splashed them in the face and went about looking into a fix and have offered such on the XP1K HL Edition. However that doesn't help the rest of us running 570 RGR/RZR 900 RGR/RZR 570/900 RGR 4 and the 1K.

As others have stated, the gearcase unit is extremely stout, with exception the reverse chain.

Here you can see that the chain to be widened has to be offset towards the shift fork. The space in general is very limited.

On a good note, disassembly of the snork tube is very straight forward and does not require the special tool. The hardest part is removing the snork seal. Setting the backlash is pretty straight forward as well.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When I get the chain, shaft, and gears in I will show disassembly of the gear set and chain replacement steps. As well as the reassembly of the entire unit to include setting back lash of the snork tube, as well as timing the shift arm.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Good write up man - sorry to hear it let go. I knew mine would so that's what I did first on mine. I assume you're using the solid metal worx guys reverse chain and GR set up? I wish this was available when I got mine - coulda saved a few dollars there! Good luck with h everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
There are still highlifter chain failures out there. They are only like 13% stronger than stock. But if I understand correctly, your chain is an aftermarket item manufactured with stronger materials. Poor design by Polaris, they know there is a design flaw hence the highlifter bandaid. I wish Polaris was held to a higher standard like auto manufacturers and issued recalls for poor designs. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep Alex, Solid Metal Wrx, doing an actual reverse reduction to reduce load on the chain gives me high hopes. Getting a better chain material and the fact that his crew all runs 35" Superior Traction tires and have not broken one yet, gives me even better hopes.

I have heard both the Turner and the Highlifter have had failures, I have yet to witness or see pictures of either though.

·
Registered
419 Posts
That reverse gear is too high - glad to see a fix for that

·
Registered
419 Posts
You get this installed yet?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I will say that I found the next weak link after the rev chain... The 13 tooth spiral bevel gear

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No parts, thinking I got scammed, Credit Card dispute filed. Word to the wise, don't do business with Solid Metal Wrx. in Longview, TX. I located a Turner, but need to wait on my reversal to pay for a portion of it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Dang sorry to hear that I thought they were a reputable shop.
No, didn't take out the case but took out a lot of other things to make it a very costly outting.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I am wanting to see the pics of the new turner.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The turner is a double stock chain set up - I posted a picture of it a while back but don't remember where.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update, Turner does not build one for the 13 Ranger. They are working on it, but my timeline is not as forgiving as theirs is. So that left me with 2 options. Upgrade to the 14 input shaft, and 14 secondary, then buy the Turner, or just buy a new 1K-HL gearcase and secondary, as the HL comes with the stronger chain.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Have you had a 800 gearcase apart mrxlh?

How is the 900 trans built in comparison? is it that much stouter or is it just a re-designed version of the 800 case?

When I had mine apart (800) I couldn't believe how tiny the low/reverse chain was and I found it a wonder that I've never broken one.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nope, never had an 800 apart. The 900 is just as large of a pile junk IMHO, as it still has a reverse chain in it. Everything else in the 900 case is pretty stout, although Alex has broke the front drive 13 tooth bevel gear, which scares me................

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Awsome.

I've seen the bevel gear start flaking/pitting on the older ranger transmissions, but never break, especially like that. Seen teeth strip off a gear before, but never shatter the whole gear. doesn't seem like it was made right.

It's be nice if they could build a transmission good enough that they didn't have to re-design or raise the fill plug on the trans case every year or two just to try and get these suckers to survive long enough to get out of warranty. I see they use some of the same bearings in the 900 trans that are in my 800's as well. China, YAY!

My case says "made in America" right on it... Wonder how legal that stamp is if the case is filled with China's best? hmm.

·
Registered
444 Posts
No parts, thinking I got scammed, Credit Card dispute filed. Word to the wise, don't do business with Solid Metal Wrx. in Longview, TX. I located a Turner, but need to wait on my reversal to pay for a portion of it.
Hopefully just a case of "I've been busy with Mud Nationals". I've had my eye on a few of their parts for a while now. They seem to crank out a lot of projects and post daily on the ole Facebooks.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.