PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the OEM cab setup with the clear view doors and it came with all the foam to seal up the cab. Well clearly there are more air leaks as I still get plenty of cold air coming out from behind the dash. I have the piece for around the wires threw firewall the triangle pieces on each side behind the fenders the odd shape ones behind the fenders and the one around the brake. I doubled checked i have and installed all the pieces over and over again and also watched polaris's video on it. I must be missing some other holes polaris skipped? Anyone know where they are? Running 40-60mph down the road in the winter is pretty cold. It is fine running around at slower speeds but from farm to farm and to town it is a pretty cold ride. If i open a door window just a little bit a bunch more comes rushing in threw the dash. Especially where the steering comes threw the dash.

2019 ranger 900. 300 miles on it.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
If you remove your windshield and pop the top of your dash off you should be able to see the steering column leak and any other leak of air that is there. Spray foam or gorilla tape up the holes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you remove your windshield and pop the top of your dash off you should be able to see the steering column leak and any other leak of air that is there. Spray foam or gorilla tape up the holes.
I figured someone would tell me that. It is cold I don't want to tear it all apart and look haha. I had it apart before putting in the heater and thought I had found all I could find under there. I had tapped some holes. Not sure why I didn't look or think of where the steering goes threw..... Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I don't use my ranger in the winter as I'm working seven days a week. But. If I did I'd plug some holes. Depending on the winter I might use it a few times to run up the driveway to get the mail to keep the battiery charged and even then the air by the steering column is freezing and maybe by my foot too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't use my ranger in the winter as I'm working seven days a week. But. If I did I'd plug some holes. Depending on the winter I might use it a few times to run up the driveway to get the mail to keep the battiery charged and even then the air by the steering column is freezing and maybe by my foot too.
I use mine year around. Granted this is my first year with this ranger but it replaced a older one I never liked. Sadly enough I think the older one was much warmer to be in with large gaps around the doors. All I did to seal up the old one was stuffed a bunch of cut up couch foam in the dash and some weather stripping around the leading edge of the door. The bottom and rear of door you can put your fingers threw. It had one of them cheap Jegs heaters with 1 defrost vent and the second just dumped out under the dash. This 900 has way better sealing doors a real firewall and 8 heater vents. What I mean by real firewall is I can't just open the hood and reach right to the back of the switches on the dash like I could the old one. I didn't even try to cut the foam to fit in the old one I just took the chunks and stuffed them in. I will have to pull things apart and see what else. I Figured there would have to be some hard to find hidden air leaks I missed and polaris missed. Were the steering comes threw is probably one of them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steering column area and under the cupholders seem to be the biggest culprits.
That would only be sealing the dash tho. Which with the large open bottom of the dash it would seem pointless to seal under the cup holders? I would assume I need to find the air leaks in the firewall itself? I keep looking under there not finding any large air leaks in the firewall tho.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I finally found where they are at. This video shows a few of them. A few more i will investigate when i get the fenders off as it looks like there may be a few this guy has over looked.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In case anyone else wanted to know in that video under the dash area you see where he put the tape. All along that even further then where he put tape is more air leaks. Also below that tape on the driver side only there is what looks like a air vent. It points towards the power steering. Probably to cool it. That would be a large air leak. Hard to notice it there but it is there. I foam filled that to. Now at the bottom of the A pillar on both sides there is a large air leak. When you get the factory foam seal kit there is that triangle piece behind the fender that seals to part of the dash. On top of that where it meets the A pillar is a large air gap.

I know I type badly so if that is not understandable please let me know so it can be fixed. No point in me typing this if no one understands what I am saying.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Is there any long term implication to cutting off air to the steering?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is probably the biggest and hardest to find. Its like a tunnel and airs towards the power steering box. Fill that hole good. I had all the other spots filled and still had large amounts of air. After filling this i all but ended the air coming thru the steering wheel. I will upload some more photos of other air leaks. Lots of small holes you gotta find and fill to i didn't get a photo of.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heres more photos. Again look for smaller round holes that had been drilled threw the firewall. Theres a bunch and i didn't get any pics of them. Also the wiring harness threw the firewall behind the radiator. Make sure you seal that up to. Lastly i found the top of my windshield leaked badly to. Check yours. I didn't notice till after i had the firewall all sealed up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Your not afraid of the spray foam I guess. That must of slowed up the air flow some.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well I didn't mean for that. I tried to make sure it touched both sides while wet as i had to tear some out and redo before. Doing so i didn't expect it to grow as much as it did haha. But better to be sealed then have to go in for a 3rd time and foam is insulation. I probably should have kept foaming all over for more insulation haha Seems to lower the rattles as well. You probably can't see any of the black silicone i used everywhere. Lots of little cracks and holes all over. But that stuff don't grow and some of it was visable after put together. Even below the rear window and around the roof area. I gotta tell ya she is a sealed up machine now! Even opening a window i don't get a draft. Sad part is my old 05 ranger had larger holes but still warmed up faster and could get overall warmer inside. Oh well this one is nicer to drive.

EDIT: Ohh i spoke to soon i see a spot of black silicone i had not got smoothed out yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts