PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about changing my tires in the Spring. I want something that is at least as good as the Carlisle AT489 in snow because I still plow.

Will the Tusk Terrabites do as well as the stock tires in fairly dry cold snow up to a foot? Current tires are 25s and I'd be changing to 27s for the Terrabites or similar.

I have the MMA 2.5 lift on my Midsize 570.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
No first hand experience with the terrabites. But i think they would be fine. I run a set of general grabber truck tires on mine and they do quite well in the snow. The terrabites have bigger lugs than what im running and should clean out much better. Matter of fact, I've pretty much decided they will be the next set i purchase.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I was in the same boat a few months ago but I didn't go with the Terrabites. Rocky Mountain ATV tried to steer me that way and said they had them on their vehicles in snow with good results. Instead I chose to go with Maxxis Ceros because they are lighter than the Terrabites by enough to matter. Since I have the 570 engine and went with a slightly larger tire I didn't want to hurt performance with an overly heavy tire. (Tire weight does matter)
I read MANY reviews and saw a couple of YouTube videos of the Ceros in snow and they did pretty well, but we haven't had enough snow here this year to actually put them to the test. I do like the ride on pavement with them, and that's where I spend probably 90% of my time since we have a long (1.25 mile) paved driveway Traction on slippery stuff may be a bit less than the OEM Carlisles becasue they don't have the knobs like the AT 489s do, but they get through everything on my steep trails which have been really wet lately. I suspect Terrabites would be about the same as the Ceros on trails. I went with 26s, 4 tires for $346 with free shipping was the best price I could find. (eBay).
I was having a terrible time with wear on the outside of the Carlisle tires, especially the front. The OEM A arms have way too much positive camber, for my use anyway. While I was at it I spent the extra money to get adjustable A Arms front and back . My rig is the full size, so your suspension on the midsize is different and may not have the camber issue.
So far I am happy with the Caros and would buy them again.
We could still get snow, I've seen it snow here in April, so I may still get to try them in snow. The one negative (for some) I did read was that the Ceros are 6 ply and a couple people complained about punctures. I've not had that problem and didn't with the Carlisles which I think are 4 ply. I believe the 6 ply rating is one reason the Ceros are lighter. Tread is about an inch deep.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Aren't the Carlisle the stock factory tires ? If they are any tire would be better.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Aren't the Carlisle the stock factory tires ? If they are any tire would be better.
Yes, the Carlisles are the factory tires. I've read some negatives about them but to be honest I had them on my Ranger for 1331 miles, mostly on pavement and if it weren't for the camber issue described above they still had at least another 500 miles in them. I did have one that had a slow leak since new, but I can't say whether it was the tire or the bead/rim interface that was leaking.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Carlisles have been fine as well. I’m looking for a different tire only because I plan to do some gravel roads in the National Forest and minimal pavement. From what I understand, the Carlisles will wear out really quick. Going 15-35 most of the time stresses the tire much different than dirt with some rocks and snow.

I can go all over my property most of the time in turf mode at 8 lbs. I did have a slow leak when I got the UTV. I’ve added Berry’s to each tire and haven’t had a problem for the past almost 3 years. I check the pressure a few times a year and air as necessary. They’ve been absolutely fine traction plowing other than when I’ve high centered in too deep snow. But, I guess that’s not a tire problem if the tire can’t reach the ground.

The Maxxis Ceros looks interesting, but not DOT approved. I’m thinking I’d just go ahead and get the DOT label if the tires are going to be similar. Any other tirest that people may recommend?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I like the maxxis carnivores, plenty of grip and for rated, I had a friend that run terrabites, they performed well in snow but wasn't pushing a plow

·
Registered
39 Posts
Carlisle does make a heavy duty version of the 489. It's the 489XL, and they are 6 ply. Available in sizes up to 27"

·
Registered
312 Posts
Been plowing with the stock Carlisle since day one, The only time I have problems is if I hang the Ranger up on a snow pile trying to stack it and it is soft.
Or pushing heavy snow that is over ice without chains
Still has a lot of lug depth left, this is only driven on my property with a occasional trip down the dirt road.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
We finally got a little snow to try the Ceros in. We got about 3 - 4 inches, some of which melted off the paved roads as soon as it landed, then accumulated to about 2 - 3 inches deep. I had to run to get the mail late in the day after temperatures had dropped some and what wsa under the snow was soft ice, still slushy but pretty slippery. I drove donw the steel grades with no problem but a bit worried about getting back up. My worries were for nothing, I came back up with no trouble. There was some mild tire spin in places but for the most part it was fine and I never got sideways or slowed down. So far I'd say the Ceros are pretty good in snow but more testing needs to be done.
Just as a side note, I have installed the SVI Traction Control, which, for lack of a better description, provides 3 wheel drive, both front wheels with an open differential. I tried using AWD and did slide a little in a couple of places. I also did Turf Mode with a lot of wheel spin but was never stopped. Using the 3 wheel drive mode was best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts