PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lost.

Spent the weekend riding in Wisconsin. Got home and unloaded my 2018 Ranger 1000 XP. Everything was fine until I went to go to the neighbors house. As soon as I turned the key on, I noticed the fan was running (engine was way cold). I also noticed the coolant light and the check engine lights were on and the dash temperature said "--". Went to leave anyway and machine is in limp mode. Diagnostic code is 3-110-3, so I suspected a faulty temp sender. Replaced it and still same. Figured if I'm gonna work on it, may as well wash off the Wisconsin sand. During the wash, the fan kicked off and the temp gauge said -40. I pulled machine back in shop and let it sit overnight. Tried it again this morning and again had "--" on the dash temp. Lights and fan are on and limp mode. Read about a circuit breaker failure that is near battery. Replaced it. Was curious of faulty grounds. Ran jumper wires from battery to the underhood ground stud and to the coolant sensor. No change. Anyone got a suggestion?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've looked and didn't see anything, but didn't look with a fine tooth comb. Have shook that harness around and nothing changes. Going to try to back probe that wire from the sensor to the ECM and run a jumper wire to see if anything changes. According to the wiring diagram, I'm thinking my problem is between them, or a bad ECM.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Going to try to back probe that wire from the sensor to the ECM and run a jumper wire to see if anything changes
That will tell you something if that wire is open (broken). But, if the harness is worn through and no wires are open it won't. There is the possibility that two or more wires have insulation rubbed off of them and the copper is touching.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point. I guess I should start with a deeper visual inspection. That harness is just so tight in there and wrapped up with that nasty black tape stuff.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found the culprit. The wire loom is routed against an air intake boot. The boot rubbed against the wiring harness and through a wire. I cut part of the loom away and was able to solder a new wire in place. Works like a dream now.
Automotive tire Finger Gesture Wood Tread
Automotive tire Finger Gesture Wood Tread

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Glad you found it. I nailed that one.

I work on all major brands and I've found that wire harness issues such as yours is 99.5% a Polaris problem. They all get mouse chewed and damaged by the occasional stick but rub throughs are basically exclusive to Polaris.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts