PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding about an hour my ranger goes into limp mode with to codes popping up 520276 2 and 520276 12 and I've looked everywhere for information on it and can't find anything plz need help

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am getting the same codes. My machine goes in to limp mode as soon as I drive thru small puddles .I mean jus a small splash on the engine aggravate this machine. I put a new peddle, new o2 sensor, new tmap sensor, new temp sensor .greased every connection on it. And it does the same thing when it touches water. Limp mode.sooo frustrating. If you find a solution please post.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Right along with the rider safety warnings this should be posed on the dashboard of every Ranger:
From the Service Manual:
"NOTE: Verify all wires and wiring connections
have been tested properly with a known good
volt/ohm meter before suspecting a component
failure. 80% of all electrical issues are caused by
bad/failed connections and grounds."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Every time I've changed a part I check the wireing with a meter from one end to the other. I have not found anything bad with the wires so I change out the sensor. Now this machine will run flawlessly for days when the conditions are dry .which is 90% of our weather here in New Mexico. But if it rains and you get a small puddle the size of a pizza and an inch deep n splash thru it the cel comes on and goes in to limp mode. My son and i have a atv shop here and deal with alot of atv problems but never one like this. Worst of all it's my personal machine and being the doctor and not having the cure drives me insane.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Obviously water/moisture is getting in somewhere to cause a fault. If your Ranger is fly by wire you may be having trouble with the accelerator pedal.
You can purchase a digital Service Manual on line as a download for about $10 and it contains codes.

Reactions: RJ

·
Registered
8 Posts
Been there done that peddle and throttle body have been replaced harnes has been ohmed n continuity tested all checks out ok. And no change.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also rubber intakes were replaced the old ones were hard n warped showed sighns of leakage maybe steam from water was disrupting something, so I hoped but it didn't cure. Bad rubber intakes are common on these engines and should be checked from time to time.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
If a small puddle an inch deep causes problems, why not start with a small stream of water and just find out where the problem area is? Just has to be two chafed wires or faulty plug allowing them to jump when it gets wet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've tried with a garden sprayer as we ride around the ranch. When the temp sensor was sprayed idle would fluctuate but no cel which lead me to check the intakes, idle stays steady now. Yesterday I used the ranger after having it parked for 2 weeks we have about 2 inches of snow here , it did fine for about 2 miles then it went in to limp mode , so I ran it like that for a bit shut it down n toggle the key watch the seat belt light blink 4 times n pray the cel goes off. Sometime it goes away in one try sometimes 3 or no deal jus drive again on limp n try again later til it clears. Some areas the snow was slushy. But as soon as I got off the mesa where it was dry it ran like a champ. 5 miles back home no problem. Unfortunately it seemed like my machine developed this problem and its unique . As many machines that are out there i was hoping someone has had similar issues. I am just stump on this one and open to any suggestions at this point.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2020 Ranger NorthStar Edition did the same thing just last week. It is a brand new machine and only had 5 miles on the odometer. I had started it up and driven down the paved street in our subdivision. When I got up to 25 mph the check engine light came on and it went into limp home mode. The dealer had installed a street legal kit when I bought the machine a week prior to this, and had not installed mirrors when they installed the street legal kit. So I called them and had them come pick up the machine and take it in for them to install the mirrors and find out why the check engine light was on. It turns out that there were no codes saved, and the machine drove fine for them. There was a recall on the CVT transmission that they performed while the machine was at there shop, but they found no other problems with it. I drove it home from the dealership the next day, which was about six miles, and no problems with the machine on that drive. I haven't driven it since, and it only has 13 miles on it now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If there's any advice I can give you, that would be use that machine before the warranty goes out. Don't sit on it. Don't abuse it but jus use it as normal as you would. The first 1000 rangers have bad jerky clutching and the engine thinks its a misfire which keys off the cel in 2020 that problem is supposed to be take care of. Supposedly! But if you have that problem a 1600.00 duraclutch is the fix.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
If there's any advice I can give you, that would be use that machine before the warranty goes out. Don't sit on it. Don't abuse it but jus use it as normal as you would. The first 1000 rangers have bad jerky clutching and the engine thinks its a misfire which keys off the cel in 2020 that problem is supposed to be take care of. Supposedly! But if you have that problem a 1600.00 duraclutch is the fix.
Not! A simple reflash of the ecu to get rid of the overly sensitive parameters will get rid of the misfire codes. Not a 1600 dollar clutch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Figured it out, it was the main harnes, right next to the fuel tank the harnes has a bend, which would touch the skidplate, barley, one green wire out of the monster wad had worn thru down to one strand of copper all outhers were ok , it was wrapped in a cloth tape, which showed no sighns of wear. Soldered it n the rangers cel lights were gone, fired up like nothing was ever wrong. Very happy now, we been using it for 6 mo now with no issues. Now finding this wire brake meant stripping the harnes from the engine towards the front of the machine was a bit titious but was the only way to have found this wire.all these machines vibrate and this is a common problem you will see quite often jus finding the break is tough and takes a lot of patients. hope this helps some one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts