PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 900 crew with 50 hours on it. The check engine light just came on, the headlights won’t work and the 4wd selector switch doesn’t seem to operate or light up. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
7,761 Posts
G, probably the the relay at the rear for the turf mode solenoid. I would start there anyway,. See if the little silver box is getting hot. Would not drive anymore till you check it out.

Reactions: GHall

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: The first time this happened back in 2019 I took the unit to Alamo Cycle Plex in San Antonio. I had a pretty bad experience there, they wanted to charge $2500 for a new harness which I declined. When I picked it up on the trailer the dash panel fell off onto the floorboard going down the road. Semi frustrated as I put it back together.

I then took it to Price Chevrolet in Pleasanton (Vehicle/Polaris Dealer). They replaced a relay for $160. When I picked up the unit the service writer wasn’t sure which relay. I’m now thinking even less of Alamo Cycle Plex.

Fast forward to September of 2021 it happened again. After a lot of reading and trouble shooting using our 2014 as a test subject, it ended up being the Chassis Relay. $10 done deal. Now I don’t have to haul it anywhere if it happens again.

For clarification, I have a 2014 900 crew and my Dad has a 2018 900 Crew. This was the 2018. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
If you are repeatedly having the chassis relay fail it's most likely having too much draw on the accessory circuit. That's the orange/white wire on the bus bar under the hood. I've seen it quite a few times where LEDs and other electronics are wired to that terminal which will eventually cause the relay to fail without blowing a fuse.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are repeatedly having the chassis relay fail it's most likely having too much draw on the accessory circuit. That's the orange/white wire on the bus bar under the hood. I've seen it quite a few times where LEDs and other electronics are wired to that terminal which will eventually cause the relay to fail without blowing a fuse.
I’m with you BPS, that’s what now has me worried a little. But the only accessories we have on the unit is a road feeder on the front plugged into the 12v receptacle which isn’t used much at all and a 12v 25gal sprayer. Other than that it’s completely stock. Now I’m thinking there may be a some issue with the harness… It’s happened 3 times now in 200 hrs.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
The intermittent use of the feeder and sprayer is definitely not the cause. I live in farm/ranch/hunting territory and A LOT of the Rangers I deal with have those accessories wired just as his. Any idea what amperage the sprayer is drawing when running?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The intermittent use of the feeder and sprayer is definitely not the cause. I live in farm/ranch/hunting territory and A LOT of the Rangers I deal with have those accessories wired just as his. Any idea what amperage the sprayer is drawing when running?
I’m not sure, I’ll have to look when I’m out there next. The aftermarket relay which I found recommended here on the forum looks to be a quarter inch taller than the factory Polaris relays. I’m hoping it’s more stout. I need to keep an eye on it to see if it gets hot. The failed relay seems to have melted very slightly.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Also make sure there is no corrosion in the socket that the relay is plugged in to. If there's corrosion or a loose connection you can get arcing which will heat up that pin and cause the relay to fail.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also make sure there is no corrosion in the socket that the relay is plugged in to. If there's corrosion or a loose connection you can get arcing which will heat up that pin and cause the relay to fail.
Will do for sure! Makes sense, there was a very small elongated bubble just above one pin on the failed relay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts