PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new 2015 Ranger 570 Midsize crew that I bought at the end of November. I have already completed the first service on the Ranger and have 340 miles on the engine (a lot of back-road riding).

A few weeks ago I was dragging our 3/4 mile driveway with a homemade drag (around 200 lbs.) to smooth out the rough spots. I had the ranger in 4wd/low and was going less than 5mph the entire time. After about 3 trips down the road, my check engine light came on. I checked engine temp, etc. and could not find any obvious signs of a problem. This past weekend I was dragging the road again and the same thing occurred after about the same time. Both times, I shut the engine down for about five minutes and had the check engine light clear when I restarted.

Is there a sensor in the drive belt housing, or somewhere else that can be detecting high temp or some other problem that is causing the check engine light? This is the only issue I have had with the Ranger since owning it and I absolutely love this machine. Also, am I possibly doing something wrong when dragging the road to cause this fault light?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Next time the light comes on, before shutting it off push the button for the display and it will show you the diagnostic code(s). Write them all down and post them and you will get the answer of what is causing the light. If I had to guess, I would say maybe the Speed sensor if the 570 has one. Is the driveway really loose gravel? Do the tires slip or lose traction while you are dragging?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I scrolled through the display and did not see any codes, just a CHK ENG where my odometer usually displays in addition to the check engine symbol on the display. Am I not looking in the right area? I do have loose gravel, but my tires are not slipping or losing traction that I notice. Thanks for your reply pondscum!

·
Registered
533 Posts
EDIT: when you see CK ENG, push and hold the button for the codes to show.. Should be a number 0-9 on the left side, a number 2 to 6 digits on the right, and a smaller 1 or 2 digit number below.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Here's the info from Ranger 900 manual, but the same for all Rangers pretty much.

Text Font Line Design Parallel

·
Registered
533 Posts
No prob. There are a few more pages of codes and their diagnosis, so when you pull the code, either search it or post it here and someone else or I will tell you what it means. I think there may be a thread on the forum somewhere with the codes already listed.

·
Registered
74 Posts
No prob. There are a few more pages of codes and their diagnosis, so when you pull the code, either search it or post it here and someone else or I will tell you what it means. I think there may be a thread on the forum somewhere with the codes already listed.
Do you know if they changed the error codes for the 2015 models? I've got a new 2015 ETX, which other than the engine size is essentially the same as the mid size 570. I've gotten a 0 error code, 04 SPN, and a 2 FMI. Has only happened twice, but common denominator seems to be moisture around hood area. First time was after I did the first snow plow and second was after I washed some of the gunk from under the hood because Polaris hasn't done a very good job of protecting from road grime (I'm looking at mud guards but 2015 designs aren't out yet).

I called my Polaris dealer but they couldn't tell me what these codes mean!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Do you know if they changed the error codes for the 2015 models? I've got a new 2015 ETX, which other than the engine size is essentially the same as the mid size 570. I've gotten a 0 error code, 04 SPN, and a 2 FMI. Has only happened twice, but common denominator seems to be moisture around hood area. First time was after I did the first snow plow and second was after I washed some of the gunk from under the hood because Polaris hasn't done a very good job of protecting from road grime (I'm looking at mud guards but 2015 designs aren't out yet).

I called my Polaris dealer but they couldn't tell me what these codes mean!
Are you sure it's 04, and not 84 spn? Unless 04 is a new code for 2015's, it's not on my 2013 manual. if it is 84, then that's the speed sensor code, which could possibly come on if you are plowing in 4wd, and the tires are slipping. Don't know about washing it causing the error though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Are you sure it's 04, and not 84 spn? Unless 04 is a new code for 2015's, it's not on my 2013 manual. if it is 84, then that's the speed sensor code, which could possibly come on if you are plowing in 4wd, and the tires are slipping. Don't know about washing it causing the error though.
Thanks for the reply. It might have been 84; my eyesight isn't what it used to be! Funny thing, I don't think the check engine came on while I was plowing, but after the next start. Guess I'll just have to monitor and see if it comes on again. Next time, I'll try and remember to take a picture with my phone.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mine came on today while I was plowing !!! All I do now is change from doing any clean up or short pushes to a run all the way up or down the driveway. Usually by the time I'm most of the way down it turns off. Scared me the first time I saw it !!! Now I don't even worry about it. (Thanks to this forum !!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.