PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Oil and lubricant company Chevron has released a new fuel additive designed specifically for ATVs and side-by-sides, as well as other powersports equipment and small engines. The new Techron Protection Plus Powersports & Small Engine Fuel System Treatment is available now at AutoZone.com, Walmart.com and Amazon.com, with additional retailers to be announced soon.

Read More>>

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
My experience with engine additives that go in the gas tank is bad. The additive I was using actually caused the lining of the fuel cell on my old Nissan PU to peal off and cause lots of fuel line blockage trouble.

·
Registered
175 Posts
This is ridiculous.... why in the hell can't they just sell ethanol free fuel and admit its crap. Its like adding cottage cheese to gasoline.

There's a web site that shows where ethanol free is sold nationwide....I will have to drive 30 miles but I'm going to do it.

Either that or see if a fuel delivery company will hook my up with an above ground tank.

·
Registered
148 Posts
This is ridiculous.... why in the hell can't they just sell ethanol free fuel and admit its crap. Its like adding cottage cheese to gasoline.

There's a web site that shows where ethanol free is sold nationwide....I will have to drive 30 miles but I'm going to do it.

Either that or see if a fuel delivery company will hook my up with an above ground tank.
I agree. Only thing that goes in my small engines is e-free. I can clean a carb in the middle of a snow storm, but can't buy a new one. Fortunately I don't have to drive 30 miles to get it though, but I would.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I spend a lot of time researching gas, oil, additives etc. I wish that straight gas was more common. For those of us that do use the E10 fuel I think this a good option. I use Sta-bil anyway, and Techron is a proven quality product. At on ounce per 4 gallons it is fairly economical. I ordered some Sunday from Walmart and will be using it this season instead of Sta-bil. Killing two birds with one stone and see how it does for my small engines, bikes, quads and Ranger.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I despise ethanol in fuel. That said, one can probably get away with using it without much trouble when there is no non ethanol available as long as they go through a full tank within a month and never store their vehicle for long periods with fuel in the fuel system (tank, lines carb, EFI). If I had to store my Ranger for a year in doors or even 6 months outdoors and no non ethanol fuel was available I'd drain my tank and add some of that ready mix canned two cycle fuel, run the engine a minute or so on that and store it. The ready mixed two cycle fuel has no ethanol, includes fuel stabilizer and has oil at 50:1 which won't hurt a thing and may actually be helpful in preventing corrosion. It's a lot of money to spend on a gallon of fuel but still cheaper than fixing what ethanol and phase separation causes and your machine will be ready to run after refilling with new fuel when you take it out of storage.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TruSouth-TruFuel-50-1-Pre-Oil-Mix-6525606/205913129

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've got a little test going that may or may not work but it's easy and free so I thought I'd try. I have two clear plastic bottles sitting on a shelf in my shop that I drilled a 1/4" hole in the cap. My shop is not climate controlled during summer and I open the roll up doors every day. I put premium pump fuel in both bottles but added this new Powersports Techron to one of them. I dated the bottles and took a picture. Suggestions on anything else I should do are welcomed.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Here is a site that will tell you where the ethanol free fuel is located.
With that said I use E-10 year round in all my equipment. Add Stabil red into the gas cans and fill to capacity. Never had a carb issue after storing the rider mower for the winter in sub zero temps. I have the battery on a maintainer and will start and run it for 10 to 15 min. once a month during dormant season.
I missed a year with Stabil due to a medical reasons and next spring start up was terrible.
My 2 stroke gas/oil mix with Stabil sits for months at times not being used and when it is needed for the line trimmer or chain saw it runs good

https://www.gasbuddy.com

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Here is a site that will tell you where the ethanol free fuel is located.
With that said I use E-10 year round in all my equipment. Add Stabil red into the gas cans and fill to capacity. Never had a carb issue after storing the rider mower for the winter in sub zero temps. I have the battery on a maintainer and will start and run it for 10 to 15 min. once a month during dormant season.
I missed a year with Stabil due to a medical reasons and next spring start up was terrible.
My 2 stroke gas/oil mix with Stabil sits for months at times not being used and when it is needed for the line trimmer or chain saw it runs good

https://www.gasbuddy.com
The StaBil red stuff is great for long term storage but it doesn't prevent phase separation on ethanol based fuels (unless StaBil has changed something since I last visited their web site) I put the red StaBil in every ounce of gasoline I add to my Ranger and small equipment, using non ethanol fuel, just in case something unexpected should happen (injury, hospital, unexpected trip, etc) and I don't get to use my stuff for a while. Adding it to every 5 gallon can of non ethanol I buy doesn't add much to the cost of fuel; I view it as cheap insurance.

Previously, when only E-10 was available, I added the red StaBil and the Marine Formula StaBil for ethanol fuel. At the time that was what was recommended on the StaBil web site. I found the advice to do that in their FAQ section. Since then I know StaBil has introduced some new products adding the term "360" to them and advertising that they prevent corrosion of steel fuel tanks. What else they have done I don't know.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I use red stabil in anything 2 stroke.
Most 2 stroke oils today have stabilizer in them. Stihl, Husqvarna, Toro, Poulan, Echo, etc., and even some aftermarket oils like Opti 2, Power Care (Home Depot). I'm not sure what additional protection you are getting by using StaBil in your 2 stroke engines if the oil already has it in it.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I've bought Stabil 360* last year and ran it in my ranger with ethanol fuel. It keeps the gas from separating if I remember right.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've put stabil red in my cans before I fill them everytime for years....maybe i should a been using the stabil360...I put marine stabilizer treatment I think is etec...its expensive whatever it is but marine mechanic said it was what I should use.

Generator is gummed up AGAIN....chain saws gummed up. It's hard to run everything every few weeks or at least to remember to do so. I've rebuild more carbs in last year and wearing me out.

2 boats, 2 tractors, old pit bike, go kart, Bobcat UTV, zero turn mower, 2 trucks, chain saws, weed eater, 2 blowers, pressure washer and a generator....some are diesel, 2 stroke and 4 stroke. Whole thing would be simple if we got real gasoline instead of cream of corn!

·
Registered
754 Posts
If you add sta-bil or any of the others to your tanks just do yourself a favor and check the fuel lines every year, they can get soft and burst when unexpected.
Same goes for generators etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
650 Posts
Bought a generator last fall and it says to use a gas stabilizer with every fill. I will stick with either Stabil or Seafoam.
When I did the service on the all the small engine products on the fire department I would change out the fuel every month unless it had been used enough to use a full tank. In the 13 years the only issue we had was operator error. Got to love when the chief(not FMO trained) takes off with a Honda fan unit and can't get it to run and I go over and turn on the switch to get it to run with a crowd watching. Same chief that took off with a tanker to a mutual aid fire and it had no water as it had been taken out of service to repair the pump seals.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
If you add sta-bil or any of the others to your tanks just do yourself a favor and check the fuel lines every year, they can get soft and burst when unexpected.
Same goes for generators etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I believe ethanol affects fuel lines and rubber more than StaBil or any other fuel stabilizer. In my experience StaBil has never damaged or softened my fuel lines.

Here's an interesting article aimed at boaters but which applies to any vehicle using ethanol:
https://www.crisfield.com/gold/Ethanol%20web%20ready.pdf

And another:
https://www.onallcylinders.com/2016/10/14/how-to-choose-fuel-line-material/

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Bought a generator last fall and it says to use a gas stabilizer with every fill. I will stick with either Stabil or Seafoam.
When I did the service on the all the small engine products on the fire department I would change out the fuel every month unless it had been used enough to use a full tank. In the 13 years the only issue we had was operator error. Got to love when the chief(not FMO trained) takes off with a Honda fan unit and can't get it to run and I go over and turn on the switch to get it to run with a crowd watching. Same chief that took off with a tanker to a mutual aid fire and it had no water as it had been taken out of service to repair the pump seals.
Just remember, when you're the Chief you don't have to be good, you just have to look good. We had several on our department promoted based upon gender or ethnicity who never had the ability to do the job. Some of the gender promotions could never start a K-12, blower fan or generator.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
13 Participants
pyromedic
PRC Polaris Ranger Club
PRCforum is the best Polaris forum community to discuss RZR 1000, Crew 900, PRC Ranger Club, XP 900, RZR XP 4 900, RZR 570, HD, 170, RZR-S, XP 900, RZR XP 4 900, ORV, side by side, SSW and off-road information.
Full Forum Listing