PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I know these aren't SXS's, but they were my first love.......long before 3-wheelers, 4-wheelers, and SXS's were ever thought of. I've spent the last couple of weekends working on mod's and maintenance to our (other) off-road machines.

Chloe's got the most attention. Her old plastic was fading to an ugly color of green, and the OEM decals were all but gone. So she got a bunch of parts at Christmas and I've finally found time to get everything installed. She got all new plastic, including a functional headlight, new graphics, new grips, and we added a set of hand guards to help protect her hands, controls and grips. Also did a full service (oil change, new plug, brake and chain adjustment, etc....).

Here's the before pic's........

Half way there........

And (almost) completely finished........

We still have a couple of decals to add to the side panels, including a big # 3 ......her basketball number, NOT Dale Earnhart :lol: .

Luckily her factory stator was already powerful enough to add the headlight without needing rewinding or a new stator. After putting everything together, we took it outside at night to check out the headlight and the dang bike wouldn't start :x . It has been acting up for a while and I think I've finally discovered the problem. Although I had cleaned the carb several times and it acted better for a while, it started acting up again on our last ride. I found a torn boot that covers the carb slide and cap. Unfortunately you can't buy the boot separately, so I've ordered a new throttle cable assembly and should have it by the end of the week. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to find a bunch of trash in the carb float bowl when I take it apart. Hopefully this will permanently fix the problem. I know she is just as aggravated with it as I am.

Olivia's bike got new grips, a set of hand guards, and full service. Probably gonna add a headlight to hers in the near future. Unfortunately, her bike will require a new stator or rewinding the original.

Hunter's got a new throttle cable, new air filter, and full service.

Mine is getting the hand guards repaired (or replaced), and I am going to replace the battery that's beginning to get weak. The bike had barely been ridden when I got it last year, so even though it's a 2006 model, I assume the battery is still the original. If so, it's had a long life and I don't feel too bad about having to buy a new battery. I'm also gonna do a full service and valve adjustment (not looking forward to that).

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Whats wrong with Earnhardt!? lol i quit watching NASCAR when he died..i was a huge fan. STill got all my memorabilia from when i was in "Club E" back in the 90's.

Way to go on all the cool parts though Jerry, Deff make the kids happy! Now she's gotta headlight, she can ride that hog at night with the grownups! Get er some knobbies and let it eat! i miss my ole Kow-a-socky Kx80 i had in the day...in fact, i miss just about all the bikes i ever had, except the Harley. lol Glad to see ya got them bark-busters, HUGE benefit that i think ALL bikes should come with from the factory! Those have saved my life many times..and my digits!

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
And she like she might need a bigger bike.
Yeap, it won't be long. I'll move her up to her big sister's CRF1OO, and then probably get a CRF150 for Olivia (thank goodness, finally a bike with disc brakes). I'll keep the KLX for a few more years and Hunter will be able to ride it once he outgrows his CRF50.

I tell ya what, Chloe can ride the crap outta that bike. Forget the fact that the bike is small and she's a girl, because we've tackled some of the roughest trails at Windrock and I RARELY have to help her or her sister 'Liv'. Everyone we run across on the trails are impressed with their riding. Not only does it make me proud, but I'll feel a WHOLE lot less apprehensive about giving them the car keys when that day comes.

Reactions: mustangwagz

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Not only does it make me proud, but I'll feel a WHOLE lot less apprehensive about giving them the car keys when that day comes.
TRUE story man, wow you said a lot right there!! Making a person understand how a machinery operates and feels all together really means alot in life. Its amazing what a little seat time can do for just about anyone! Get em started young and id put money on it to say later in life, you'll have either less issues, or you'll have an evil knevil! lol

Reactions: oneal

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
.....Making a person understand how a machinery operates and feels all together really means alot in life. Its amazing what a little seat time can do for just about anyone!.......
I agree. I started riding at 8 and racing at 10. I'm sure that early experience contributed to the fact that I've always been able to jump right on a piece of equipment and go with it. If it's got wheels and/or a motor, I'll usually have the hang of operating it within a few hours.....or minutes on the easier stuff.

Reactions: mustangwagz

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
TRUE story man, wow you said a lot right there!! Making a person understand how a machinery operates and feels all together really means alot in life. Its amazing what a little seat time can do for just about anyone! Get em started young and id put money on it to say later in life, you'll have either less issues, or you'll have an evil knevil! lol

Very well said, I put my daughter on a Yamaha Warrior (350 six speed) when she was 14. She is 28 now on a professional career as chemical engineer and travels all over multi-state oil fields driving 4WD trucks and is quite comfortable doing so. I am certain her early exposure to off roading paid off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.