PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum thing, but was hoping I could get some help. So the other day I did something dumb. I floored it in reverse, built some speed and slammed on the brakes and it had made a weird noise. I put it in high gear and when I went forward it started to make this light grinding sound. In reverse it often makes a clicking sound. It goes into gear fine. Would it be more likely to have a problem in the transmission or rear differential?
Its an 09 polaris ranger crew 700

·
Registered
2020 Ranger Northstar Crew Ultimate
159 Posts
Rear diff not likely. Trans, did you dump the oil out and look at it?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Likely not completely in gear. I tend to shift a little further and back into the desired gear.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Check rear axles and CV joints. It's possible that going fast and slamming on the brakes built up enough inertia within the drive train that the sudden stop of the wheels when the brakes were applied cause the CV joints or an axle to fail on one side. regardless of direction of travel, there are a lot of parts rotating. The front driveshaft rotates whether you are in AWD or not and almost all of the transmission internals rotate. The faster the rotation the greater the force built up. Newton's First Law states that an object in motion tends to stay in motion unless an external force acts upon it. Slamming the brakes on was the external force. The mass of the parts in the drive train created inertia which may have been dissipated by breaking the weakest link.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check rear axles and CV joints. It's possible that going fast and slamming on the brakes built up enough inertia within the drive train that the sudden stop of the wheels when the brakes were applied cause the CV joints or an axle to fail on one side. regardless of direction of travel, there are a lot of parts rotating. The front driveshaft rotates whether you are in AWD or not and almost all of the transmission internals rotate. The faster the rotation the greater the force built up. Newton's First Law states that an object in motion tends to stay in motion unless an external force acts upon it. Slamming the brakes on was the external force. The mass of the parts in the drive train created inertia which may have been dissipated by breaking the weakest link.
Both rear axles seem to be working fine, I jacked it up and accelerated it a bit and both were spinning good. I went for a little ride to see if the noise would worsen and it did. It would start to make a clicking/grinding noise after I would let off the pedal after accelerating. It ran good going up steeper hills, didn't make much noise when I would go slow. Same thing would happen when I would go fast, the noise wasn't as loud. I was looking online and seen some stuff about chains in the transmission, could that be the problem? Planning on pulling out the transmission and opening it up to see if anything's wrong with it, anyone have any tips on what to be careful with when doing this?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Missing/partially broken gear teeth will cause a clicking sound. If your certain it isn't the axles then pulling it apart to check the transmission internals is a good call. I wouldn't drive it any more before performing that inspection. There isn't a lot of room between the spinning internal components and the case in some areas. If a broken piece gets caught between the rotating internals adn teh case you'll be looking at buying a new case (read $$$).

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
"
anyone have any tips on what to be careful with when doing this?"

Be sure and view Commander Jones videos on Youtube before cracking one open ..

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
I would make dang sure it is not a CV before pulling the transmission . If it is a chain slapping in the case you will have aluminum flake in the AGL. I would dump the fluid and inspect. You can feel the reverse chain thru the drain plug hole with your finger. If it is stretched to far and trying to pour itself thru the drain hole.............you have found your 'cleeek' noise.

Reactions: pyromedic

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I pretty sure the sound is coming from the transmission, dumped the oil out and you can hear something rattling in the bottom of it. Any tips or guide on removing the transmission?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also stuck my finger through the drain hole and didnt feel any chain like object, felt like something round

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I already started the removal process, but not sure how I'm going to remove the drive shaft from the transmission

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Knock the roll pin out of the yoke on the back of the transmission with a punch . You may need to remove the four bolts in the rear gearcase and slide it back and away a skosh. Hopefully none of the yokes are 'froze on the shafts. Prior to removing the shaft.... remove the EB caliper . Check the ujoints and replace with 338's from NAPA if needed.

For 10 bucks you can download the service manual and not be guessing .... 2009 Polaris Ranger 700 4X4 Crew Service Manual PDF Download

Reactions: pyromedic

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
"I also stuck my finger through the drain hole and didnt feel any chain like object, felt like something round "

That is one of the chains straight up from from the drain plug hole......No doubt about.....Unless...yours is 'Special'....

Metal flake in the fluid ???????

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"I also stuck my finger through the drain hole and didnt feel any chain like object, felt like something round "

That is one of the chains straight up from from the drain plug hole......No doubt about.....Unless...yours is 'Special'....

Metal flake in the fluid ???????
Yes there was plenty of metal flake in the oil. Once I emptied it out I jacked it up and spun the wheels and you can hear something rattling inside, so sounds like I did some pretty bad damage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just opened the transmission case and the problem was a blown bearing. The gear that rides on that shaft had play and the gear wouldn't sit right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Would I still be able to use that gear? Also wanted to know if anyone knows what the gear is called and what bearing I need.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Knock the roll pin out of the yoke on the back of the transmission with a punch . You may need to remove the four bolts in the rear gearcase and slide it back and away a skosh. Hopefully none of the yokes are 'froze on the shafts. Prior to removing the shaft.... remove the EB caliper . Check the ujoints and replace with 338's from NAPA if needed.

For 10 bucks you can download the service manual and not be guessing .... 2009 Polaris Ranger 700 4X4 Crew Service Manual PDF Download
Do you know of any good sites to order replacement parts?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts