PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded my '08 800 for a new 4 seat 800 LE recently. It's an amazing machine. Wider, taller, longer, better ride, and a more capable rock crawler. I'd have to say even if I didn't need the extra seats, I'd pick this one over the shorter 2 seat for crawling, having had both.

There is something I don't like however, and I'm assuming this has been changed in all their rzr's... but it refuses to engine brake downhill. This one, no matter how steep the grade is, will let the engine go to idle and release the clutch. If you keep tapping the gas to keep it engaged, you soon find yourself going 15mph down a steep, rocky, trail, and getting faster by the second.

So now I have to use the brakes continuously, where on my '08 I hardly ever used them. Also, when doing this, there is a high pitched whine coming out of the clutch area that is tied to the speed you're traveling. If you get up to 10mph in low and are using the brakes to go downhill, it sounds like a jet engine.

What can I do to get the old style engine braking back, and if not or if it's too expensive, is this wine I'm hearing going to damage something if it gets going too fast?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I gave him a call today, they have a great site too. Definitely will be going this route in the near future.

·
Registered
577 Posts
You need a ebs helix in the secondary clutch. Easy install.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was reading about that actually. The post also mentioned something about a one way bearing in the primary? Is that helix something I would order from Polaris?

Edit: Hmm I do still want it to freewheel when the engine goes to idle, so the one way bearing in the primary is not something I want, is it? I just wanna keep ebs alive going downhill by tapping the throttle now and then.

Edit 2: After reading some more, it seems the 2010 to 2013 rzr-s and rzr-4 have secondary clutches with a non removable helix. Seems the entire secondary would have to be replaced, unless I'm confused.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts