PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thank you for your write up, I used the wood chisel method and it worked great. Upon looking at the project on hand, I opted for the fastest and most efficient way without making it an all day affair.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Andy, just so you know, the extra step in taking the clutch cover off, literally takes about 2-3 minutes. Probably the same amount of time it takes to "chisel" or melt the spacer out... heck, maybe even LESS time! [:)]

·
Registered
186 Posts
Orig quote from bluesti "apply around 50 ft/lbs (correction: 40 ft/lbs -Myers) , which is NOT very hard... you can crack the magnesium cover if you go crazy."

I am okay with that however, how can the next Quote from Myers be correct? "Drive clutch cover plate bolts are 90 inch pounds. just make sure they are all snugged down evenly first."

I would think that if going over 40 inch pounds on center bolt may crack the magnesium cover, won't putting 90 inch pounds on the outer bolt crack it as well?

Just asking, I do not want to take a chance of cracking anything.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by GueroDave

Orig quote from bluesti "apply around 50 ft/lbs (correction: 40 ft/lbs -Myers) , which is NOT very hard... you can crack the magnesium cover if you go crazy."

I am okay with that however, how can the next Quote from Myers be correct? "Drive clutch cover plate bolts are 90 inch pounds. just make sure they are all snugged down evenly first."

I would think that if going over 40 inch pounds on center bolt may crack the magnesium cover, won't putting 90 inch pounds on the outer bolt crack it as well?

Just asking, I do not want to take a chance of cracking anything.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

You're confusing two different bolts...

The 40 ft/lbs was for the CENTER bolt, that actually holds the clutch cover in place. The large black bolt in the picture.

THe 90 inch/lbs was for the gold-colored bolts, 6 of them, that secure the outer edge of the plate.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Removing RZR Factory Spacer: DO NOT REMOVE: By removing the OE spacer you will create extra overdrive and but at the same time you will compromise your vehicles back shifting. The vehicle will be slower to come out of overdrive, and will constantly pulling too tall of a gear. The second major concern is the belt now rides two low in the secondary. The sheeves that belt rides in have a machined taper. At a certain point, the point where the stock spacer limits the sheeve, there is no more taper, the belt will become stuck below the taper causing damage to the clutch and belt, and potential the driver if it bound the motor. Many people have found that this happens while going down hill at high speed.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Please don't come into a thread like this, without full knowledge of what you're talking about.

There has already been vendors that posted that info, then later PULLED their statements, probably realizing they were wrong, or didn't have the "full story" needed, or the proof to back up such claims.

There's 1000's of people that have done it... and correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen any horror stories yet from belt failures that could have been DIRECTLY related to the spacer...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Spacer removal

ALL five in my riding group have removed the spacers from the belt / clutch area. NO PROBLEMS!!

Mine has gone about 600 miles without it in the clutch area but I carry it in my trunk to show any interested people. So yes, I've re-MOVED it but not removed it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My belt exploded after 830 miles over 700 were with spacer removed. I just installed new belt and reinstalled spacer.With the spacer in it used to hit rev limiter at 58 mph no matter if you were on or off road.After I removed spacer I could get 62 mph on the road only and would struggle to get 54 mph off road.I mainly ride off road so after belt is broke in I will see if i got my offroad speed back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the info, sounds like leaving the spacer in helps with woods riding, and the spacer out for more flat out riding.?
Does the RZR S have the same spacer also?

41 - 58 of 58 Posts