PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 800 ranger and I run 32" terms on it,but I was wanting to know what would be the best clutch upgrade for slow riding in pretty thick mud.Also slow trail riding in the mountains.

·
Registered
621 Posts
QSC. Your search ends here.

·
Super Moderator
6,846 Posts
I have a 800 ranger and I run 32" terms on it,but I was wanting to know what would be the best clutch upgrade for slow riding in pretty thick mud.Also slow trail riding in the mountains.
After watching the videos and reading the tech articles and customer reviews, I would seriously look at the DuraClutch.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Your going to want a kit tailored to how your machine is setup AND how you ride. The duraclutch doesn't offer that. It's a "one size fits all" clutch. Don't get me wrong it has awesome reviews and i'm sure its a great clutch for mostly stock machines BUT with a dual clutch setup like that there have to be friction plates/packs like in the yamaha's that will wear out prematurely if your gonna try to turn big tires like that. Plus your going to be missing out on a lot of low end performance that can be had with custom weights, springs, etc.

Big tires kill and you NEED to have your clutching setup properly to compensate for the larger tires. 32" terminators are NOT light.

·
Registered
764 Posts
We ride similar terrain...I have been running a DDP clutch for a while now...i have a duraclutch on the way and it should be here by the end of the week....should be able to compare the 2 and report back soon...

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
We ride similar terrain...I have been running a DDP clutch for a while now...i have a duraclutch on the way and it should be here by the end of the week....should be able to compare the 2 and report back soon...
What size tires do you run tjm? I thought Duraclutches were only good for up to 28" tires? What issues did you have with the DDP?

·
Registered
764 Posts
What size tires do you run tjm?
29.5" Terms

? I thought Duracltches were only good for up to 28" tires?
I think it will work fine, but I'll know for sure soon :)

What issues did you have with the DDP?
DDP worked fine, Dale at DDP is great to work with and the clutch was definitely much better than stock...just not exactly what I wanted for heavier loads through rough terrain....

Over 5000# gross, rough terrain, no trail...

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
29.5" Terms

Over 5000# gross, rough terrain, no trail...

Wow what are you doing with that thing? Sounds like you need a Kabota on tracks.

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
DDP has always done a great job on my Rangers and RZRs. When you call Dale at DDP he will ask you a lot of questions about your machine and riding style and then set up your clutches for you. His knowledge on clutching is amazing.

·
Vendor
2,124 Posts
Your going to want a kit tailored to how your machine is setup AND how you ride. The duraclutch doesn't offer that. It's a "one size fits all" clutch. Don't get me wrong it has awesome reviews and i'm sure its a great clutch for mostly stock machines BUT with a dual clutch setup like that there have to be friction plates/packs like in the yamaha's that will wear out prematurely if your gonna try to turn big tires like that. Plus your going to be missing out on a lot of low end performance that can be had with custom weights, springs, etc.

Big tires kill and you NEED to have your clutching setup properly to compensate for the larger tires. 32" terminators are NOT light.
That is not exactly correct and even took a lot of explaining to me by several engineers involved with this project to explain it out and the big tires are not a factor either.

Simple answer is, one of the main focuses of a clutch kit on stock clutches is to give belt grip with the bigger tires and once you take belt slippage out of the equation like with the duraclutch which will not slip a belt then the tuning of the clutch does not play as big of a role anymore. Kinda hard to explain here. Just get one or ask anyone with one and see what they say. Not one negative comment yet.

I am testing one now on a RZR XP 900 with 29" tires, it is absolutely amazing, I was crawling up a hill yesterday so slow the speedo was not registering and I was still able to run 70 mph.

Trust me early on when I started selling them I just knew I liked it in my Ranger, worked great and was willing to sell them based off that. But in the last few weeks I have gotten deeper involved with actual manufacturer of the primary, the engineer who is setting them up and several others in both companies. I am totally convinced of the system now and I have ran it personally on two vehicles.

The friction plates will last a long time, these have been tested in some severe applications before they ever made it to a Polaris.

Todd

·
Registered
621 Posts
Thank you for the clarification BUT without a clutch kit he's still going to be missing out on performance turning those big tires. I can see the duraclutch being good for smooth engagement and belt life yes but I'm not seeing how it can compensate for the larger heavy tires. I also don't see how it can help furnish significantly stronger acceleration and midrange oomph the way they have it set up. NO kits availaible for it. The profile of the weights and springs that just a simple $200 kit provides does allow for a tighter belt grab yes BUT they also allow for the sheeves/clutches to react quicker and keep everything moving in the engines sweet spot which will furnish stronger acceleration and midrange punch as well as a quicker backshift. Also THAT will prolong belt life in a stock clutch setup, $200 compared to $1200. Example, my sportsman 500 post clutch kit would pull the front tires off the ground in high gear. My Ranger with just a replacement primary will now chirp the tires on blacktop, it wouldn't do THAT before.

NOMATTER WHAT CLUTCH OR CLUTCH KIT YOU GET A CLUTCH/KIT DOESNT MAKE MORE POWER IT MAKES BETTER USE OF THE POWER YOU HAVE AVAILABLE.

Wasn't sure on how the friction plates would last, I know on the Yamaha's I've had to replace a couple because guys put large tires on and that prematurely wears them out. How much does a set of plates cost for the DuraClutch should they wear out?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I'm anxious to here about the Duraclutch hauling around #5k lbs in moose carcasses myself...that's a great test...

·
Vendor
2,124 Posts
Thank you for the clarification BUT without a clutch kit he's still going to be missing out on performance turning those big tires. I can see the duraclutch being good for smooth engagement and belt life yes but I'm not seeing how it can compensate for the larger heavy tires. I also don't see how it can help furnish significantly stronger acceleration and midrange oomph the way they have it set up. NO kits availaible for it. The profile of the weights and springs that just a simple $200 kit provides does allow for a tighter belt grab yes BUT they also allow for the sheeves/clutches to react quicker and keep everything moving in the engines sweet spot which will furnish stronger acceleration and midrange punch as well as a quicker backshift. Also THAT will prolong belt life in a stock clutch setup, $200 compared to $1200. Example, my sportsman 500 post clutch kit would pull the front tires off the ground in high gear. My Ranger with just a replacement primary will now chirp the tires on blacktop, it wouldn't do THAT before.

NOMATTER WHAT CLUTCH OR CLUTCH KIT YOU GET A CLUTCH/KIT DOESNT MAKE MORE POWER IT MAKES BETTER USE OF THE POWER YOU HAVE AVAILABLE.

Wasn't sure on how the friction plates would last, I know on the Yamaha's I've had to replace a couple because guys put large tires on and that prematurely wears them out. How much does a set of plates cost for the DuraClutch should they wear out?
The clutch comes with a 5000 mile warranty as does the belt. I will have to ask about replacement clutch paks hasn't came up yet or the need for them and these have been out a while, some of you guys are just now hearing about them.

It is really hard to explain about the clutch calibration for small tires and big tires. But keep in mind, these are Rangers, not race vehicles most and I say most people are not running around with a ranger with big tires like it is a race vehicle. So if you need to pull heavy loads like the moose mentioned, you are a rock crawler, mud buy with big tires. Basically any heavy load slower speed driver I guess then you can't beat it.

Like anything it has applications. If you want to run around trail riding at higher speeds with stock or larger tires, I am not sure you have a need for this. Why? Because low speed torque is not something you need, you are moving fast where the belt does not slip anyway.

Todd

·
Vendor
2,124 Posts
So what do you guys suggest would be my best route ?
In my opinion you are great candidate for the Duraclutch, you need maximum belt grip with those tires and you said you are going to be spending most of your time driving slow so you should be most concerned about belt grip more than anything and that is what the Duraclutch can do better than anything.

Todd

·
Super Moderator
6,846 Posts
In my opinion you are great candidate for the Duraclutch, you need maximum belt grip with those tires and you said you are going to be spending most of your time driving slow so you should be most concerned about belt grip more than anything and that is what the Duraclutch can do better than anything.

Todd
I agree with Todd!

I will be putting a Duraclutch on my unit as well.

And looking forward to tjm's review of the Duraclutch.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The part I disagree with is the tuning of the clutch that why I went with the duraclutch. I use my ranger for trail riding with my kids in the back but once in a while I pull and 16' and 21' boat around my property. My 800x2 Polaris had a clutch that I bought tuned for my riding but when I wanted to hook to my boats and welder it performed poorly. That why I decided to get the duraclutch and I have to say I am extremely pleased with it. The engine braking is an added bonus and out of nine Polaris's that I have owned it is by Far the smoothest. Engagement and overall smoothness of the clutch is amazing. I was very unhappy with my ranger until I added this clutch.

·
Vendor
2,124 Posts
The part I disagree with is the tuning of the clutch that why I went with the duraclutch. I use my ranger for trail riding with my kids in the back but once in a while I pull and 16' and 21' boat around my property. My 800x2 Polaris had a clutch that I bought tuned for my riding but when I wanted to hook to my boats and welder it performed poorly. That why I decided to get the duraclutch and I have to say I am extremely pleased with it. The engine braking is an added bonus and out of nine Polaris's that I have owned it is by Far the smoothest. Engagement and overall smoothness of the clutch is amazing. I was very unhappy with my ranger until I added this clutch.
I agree that was my initial impression back when the Duraclutch was new to me too. I was like, man I like this ranger now.

The tuning part was hard to explain to me but I get it now and I no longer say for 28" and under.

Todd

1 - 20 of 47 Posts