PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used this forum many times and really appreciate all the information. Haven't needed any help until now so here's my problem. While riding in Southern Utah for 3 days my "Check Engine" light would come on and off. Code 46 showed up when checked. Engine still ran fine though for over 300 miles of riding. Just as this forum suggested it was a bad TABP wire at the plug. Repaired it with the OTB Harness and the 46 code went away but now the engine won't idle and I get a Code 22. I have checked all the wiring for any signs of breaking but couldn't find anything. What could I have done wrong just by changing the TBAP Harness. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
The code 22 points toward a TPS (throttle position sensor) issue. Although I have seen them fail before, the problem is normally (again) broken/chaffed wires. Check the wires leading to it. If the wires look good, it "could" need an adjustment, although it would be odd for one to fall out of adjustment unless the set screw has vibrated loose. If all else fails, replace the sensor. I have a sticky on how to adjust the TPS. http://www.prcforum.com/forum/24-ranger-technical/51059-tps-adjustment.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for your quick response Commander. I checked the TPS this afternoon with the pigtail from KMS using my digital meter. I got .664. TPS was smooth up to 3.61 at WOT. Think I'll go back and make sure I didn't mess up the wire match on the TBAP harness. I only checked it like 3 times before I crimped them but old eyes can really screw you up. Is it possible a mess up in the TBAP harness could cause this issue? Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
.....Is it possible a mess up in the TBAP harness could cause this issue?......
It is not likely that it would run fine for 300 miles that way. My guess would be that another connection has come loose.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't make the repair until after the 300 mile trip. Didn't want to screw up a great vacation as the Ranger ran fine. When I got the machine home I made the repair.
Very well may have hooked something up wrong or even broke another wire as it wouldn't run after I worked on it. That's why I was wondering if the Code 22 could be caused by my repair (TBAP harness not connected right or another wire breaking during the repair). Just wondering which wires to start checking. Thanks again, TONS of great info on the site and I hope everyone knows how much it is appreciated.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Oh, sorry that I misunderstood. In that case, yes, I'd definitely go back and double check the TBAP wire install. A couple of crossed wires or one bad connection could definitely cause running issues. I wouldn't think it would cause the code 22, but I can't rule that out for certain.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PROBLEM SOLVED (or should I say corrected?) I should have known better and checked what I had done with the TBAP harness. Just for everyone's info, if you cross the orange and yellow wire the engine just don't run right. Code 22 gets thrown and led me down the wrong path. Probably not the first or last time though. I want to thank you Jerry for your help. As I said before, IT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
You're welcome, Larry. I'm glad it was something simple and you're got her up and running again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts