PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are planning a family vacation to Colorado for next summer. The plan was to leave the camper at home, rent a cabin, and trailer the atv's up there instead. We have a 500 4x4 ranger, a Honda Rancher 2x4, and a Polaris sportsman 90. My question is, are there any good trails to ride that are 2wd atv friendly, and where my 10 yr. old can ride by himself? I almost booked a cabin in Lake City to ride the Alpine Loop, and then realized that you have to be a licensed driver to go on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Help me find a place for the boy to ride 8) 8) !

·
Registered
634 Posts
in july we went to taylor park colorado. i saw a lot of kids riding around on 400 and 500 class machines that really really surprised me. i think your son can ride his atv as long as he is under your supervision. i would highly recommend taylor park because you can ride and stay all in the same place. no trailering atv's around from trailhead to trailhead. they have a lot of easy trails that will be family friendly. and get a map book of the area, it will help a lot.

here's a link on the colorado state law.

http://www.atvsafety.gov/state/colorado.html

and here's a link for a place to stay in taylor park.

http://www.taylorparktradingpost.com/index.html

take a look in the full size ranger photos section and i've got some of our trip pictures posted. we will go back to taylor park again.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Tycoon,

Taylor lake is just one of the many awesome places to ride in Colorado. The east side of the continental divide from Taylor Lake (Cottonwood Pass ?) have Buena Vista and Salida and there are lots of places that all 3 vehicles can go. The real hard technical stuff is usually marked.

I almost always camp so the only cabins I have used are the Old Homestead Cabins outside Rand, Co. (Last number I had was for Bob & Kerry Moran @ 970-723-4582. I doubt they have a web site.) Most cabins are fairly primitive, some with only wood stoves for heating and cooking with centrally located showers & heads. They might have an "ensuite" or two.

There is enough riding adjacent to the place to keep you busy for, I don't know 6 months or so. The wildlife viewing is really good with one of the best moose population in the state in the nearby willow creek drainage & Illinios Mtn. Up the road to the north, just between Walden and the Wyoming line is a big, for this area, sand dune OHV area. I have only been there once but there were lots of kids on all sizes of bikes. It is also near Rocky Mountain National Park with the highest hiway in the country, but like all NP's, pretty sterile, just for looking. The nearest towns for groceries, supplies, gas & fuel are Granby and Walden.

It has been snowy and cold with some places getting 15" of snow the last couple of days. It will all be gone by Sat and back in the 70's. Sometimes the snow doesn't clear out of the mtn valleys ( there has been skiing in July) until well into May. Maybe not as fickled as Wyoming but prepare for anything and everything. Bring shorts and long underwear.

Steve

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Colorado

Hey David, as Steve and Ransom would probably agree expect showers to come up almost every day at elevation around 1:00 or 2:00 p.m. then starry beautiful skys at night. So with the long johns remember the insulated rain parkas! :shock: I live in Texas and have been going to Colo. for 30 years 8) P.S. Check out the Crested Butte area beyond Mt. Crested Butte village on the way to Marble is where the famous water mill picture was taken. Buy a couple of ATV/backcountry books since you have the time for prepration, and happy camping !Alan

·
Registered
18 Posts
Southern CO Riding

This August I did a lot of riding in Southern Colorado, more specifically Rio Grande National Forest Just North of the New Mexico Border. Great Location a lot of campers but not very many riders despite the fact that it is very ORV friendly in fact one of the camp grounds (Aspen Glades) allow orv's in the campground.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts