PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Breather line froze causing pressure to build up in the crank case which blew the O-ring out. Has anyone else experienced this or modified the breather hose to prevent condensate from freezing in the line. We were thinking of either installing a water drain line on a t-joint or wrapping the hose in a low voltage heater or both? What are your expriences or thoughts?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Sounds like an engineering screw up. Contact dealer or Polaris? The name "Polaris "doesn't bring thoughts of warm and sunny.
I had a conversation with a company making and selling battery chargers from Chicago about their cable shattering in the Zero degree temps. I ribbed them that doesnt Chicago get cold. New charger received

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,767 Posts
My first thought is what is that much moisture doing in the crankcase? Is your engine oil contaminated? Do you make lots of short trips which seldom or never allow the engine to warm to full operating temperature for a long period? Do you have excess blow by past the rings into the crankcase?

If the moisture is getting into the crankcase from the surrounding ambient air the humidity must be very high where you park.

I recently purchased a 400 watt radiator hose block heater made by Kats to fit my 1" radiator hose on my Ranger. I don't like starting an engine when it's really cold if I can help it and I want to prevent condensation in my crankcase from short runs as well as have heat as soon as possible from my heater in winter. I haven't had time to install it yet so I can't report on effectiveness.

https://katsblockheater.com/block-heaters/all/10-inch-radiator-hose-heater-coolant-hose-heater-10-inch-heater-120v-400w-new

·
Registered
943 Posts
They also make a pad heater that could be stuck on. Living in MN in the winter and needing to get equipment running one learns or adapts. Those tank heaters work well in stuff that a block heater cant be installed in. Magnetic heaters work well for temporary use and great help on oil pans. Battery blanket warmer for nights like this evening at -11
I would really be concerned about all the h2o and get a fresh oil change with a good oil

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like an engineering screw up. Contact dealer or Polaris? The name "Polaris "doesn't bring thoughts of warm and sunny.
I had a conversation with a company making and selling battery chargers from Chicago about their cable shattering in the Zero degree temps. I ribbed them that doesnt Chicago get cold. New charger received
Oh I have talked with Polaris before but they will not talk to you unless you are the dealer and making any adjustments to the machine to prevent things like this would void warranty, which thankfully this is covered under. I am at the point now where warranty doesn't matter if my machine needs endless work so I think these manual changes might be the better route. People are suggesting insulation, heater, or modification to the breather line to prevent this from happening in cold weather and I strongly recommend that anyone else who reads this before a catastrophe happens to look into their options as well :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My first thought is what is that much moisture doing in the crankcase? Is your engine oil contaminated? Do you make lots of short trips which seldom or never allow the engine to warm to full operating temperature for a long period? Do you have excess blow by past the rings into the crankcase?

If the moisture is getting into the crankcase from the surrounding ambient air the humidity must be very high where you park.

I recently purchased a 400 watt radiator hose block heater made by Kats to fit my 1" radiator hose on my Ranger. I don't like starting an engine when it's really cold if I can help it and I want to prevent condensation in my crankcase from short runs as well as have heat as soon as possible from my heater in winter. I haven't had time to install it yet so I can't report on effectiveness.

https://katsblockheater.com/block-heaters/all/10-inch-radiator-hose-heater-coolant-hose-heater-10-inch-heater-120v-400w-new
We do make a lot of short trips but I have remote start installed and we do allow the engine to run a good long while before moving. The Ranger does stay plugged in overnight with an oil pan heater and battery heater. Oil was changed at the start of winter season and I live in a technical desert so the humidity is actually very low. I will ask about adding the block heater to the radiator hose and will reply back with what our mechanic shop says.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I would be considering some legal action if the issue cant be remedied. I know several states have a three strike rule. Not everyone has the ability to plugin to bandaid a issue. Not a good scenario if one goes on a mountain hunting trip and camps miles from power. Keep detailed records of what it is they are trying to do. :(

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,767 Posts
While living in an low humidity area may help with reducing the amount of moisture that can accumulate in a crankcase, it's important to understand that water is a byproduct of combustion and some moisture caused by the combustion process makes it past the rings in the form of blow by, even in a new and well sealed engine with seated rings. In addition, while long periods of idling will get the engine to operating temperature idling also contributes to moisture in the crankcase, especially when the engine is cold and the mixture is rich. If you live in an extremely cold climate the engine may stay in cold loop cycle which keeps the mixture rich for a longer period of time.

I've not used oil pan heaters so I don't know how effective they are. I've also not yet used a radiator hose block heater so I can't say how effective they are either. My hope is that the one I have will be effective enough to shorten engine warming time. I believe the block heaters that actually fit in the water jacket via a freeze plug are probably the best but I haven't been able to find anything similar that will work on a Polaris 570. If the engine were steel or iron a magnetic heater would probably be helpful. I am dubious of the heating pad type heaters but maybe someone with experience using them will advise of their effectiveness. In all cases if you park in an extremely cold climate the heaters may not be able to keep up with the heat loss in the surrounding ambient air.

A look at your engine oil might be in order. If you are getting enough condensation so that it freezes in your breather tube the oil may appear milky. Something else I wonder about is whether you've been losing coolant. If you have a leaking head gasket or seal around the water pump or some other path that is allowing coolant to seep into the crankcase that may be the root cause of your problem.

You could also do a "diagnostic oil change" and see whether you still have the problem or if it redevelops over time. If changing the oil resolved the issue for a period of time you need to find out why and how moisture is entering the crankcase and address the issue. Polaris does recommend more frequent oil changes if most of your runs are short and the engine doesn't get to operating temperature for long periods of time. I believe that recommendation can be found in your owner's manual.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I finally was able to pick up my Ranger 900 xp from the shop after it spent 9 months in there. I have put in a heating circulation pump as well as a t-release in the breather hose to let out possible drip back. Thank you for everyone's input :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts