PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some input/opinions on th RZR 900S, I have a Ranger 900 Crew and I'm looking to add another SxS to the mix. I've read that it's possible to stick 30" tires under this thing without mods, is this true? (Something about it already having forward arms front and back). I know this is a departure from the Ranger and that's fine, I'm considering this or another Ranger 900 in an XP version, just looking for the pro/cons of the RZR. If you happen to have both and REALLY appreciate your comparison.

Thanks -
Bryan

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
I can only tell you I have more fun with my 900 RZR than I ever did with my Rangers, even Mud & Guts. They are just so much more stable in performance situations that you feel like you can do more with them.
Mine is a different body style but the only thing I had to do to fit 30" tires was trim the body behind the front tire and move the flare back.

·
Administrator
6,360 Posts
Rode with one this past weekend. Extremely nimble! He had 27" Dirt Commanders and zero tractions problems, even in deep mud. Looks like it could handle 30s. Only drawback is storage is at a premium! May want to look at the RZR 4 900 also; wider but has the back seat area that would let you haul a lot more 'stuff.'

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
I've owned both and the Ranger can't compare to the RZR for a trail machine. With a true 30" tire, I think you might experience some rubbing at full suspension travel while turning.....but as Curt mentioned, nothing that a fender trim (or forward A-arms) won't fix.

·
Vendor
2,040 Posts
Very good machine just a bad secondary clutch that can be upgraded to the EBS style for longer life, more engine braking and smoother operation. Stock one will fail at some point

Highly suggest a RZR clutch kit with the 30" tires on the RZR as well

Otherwise seems to be great machine

Feel free to call to discuss any of the RZR clutching with me

Todd

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys, good to know that I should be able to run 30's without any mods (like to to maintain that warranty :) )
If I do this, I'll use it as a solo ride for weekend camping instead of using the crew (that'll used for family trips), so cargo capacity shouldn't be too much of issue.
I'm guessing this is the same clutch as the Ranger 900? If that's the case, I have an extra EPI kit that I can through in it.

·
Vendor
2,040 Posts
Thanks for the input guys, good to know that I should be able to run 30's without any mods (like to to maintain that warranty :) )
If I do this, I'll use it as a solo ride for weekend camping instead of using the crew (that'll used for family trips), so cargo capacity shouldn't be too much of issue.
I'm guessing this is the same clutch as the Ranger 900? If that's the case, I have an extra EPI kit that I can through in it.
Same clutches but not same tuning components

RZR clutch kits and Ranger won't interact

Different flyweight, springs in both primary and secondary

Todd

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same clutches but not same tuning components

RZR clutch kits and Ranger won't interact

Different flyweight, springs in both primary and secondary

Todd
Thanks Todd, good to know.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update: I decided to go with a '15 900 S, the local dealership was blowing them out at $15,100 on Tuesday after the 2016 reveal. I ended up with a Havasu Red with Sport top, half windshield, #4500 winch, 10" rigid light bar, full rear panel, lower doors, rear storage box, and deluxe front bumper for $17,500 out the door. I'm picking it up tomorrow so I'll take a few pics and post them later.

Thanks again for the input, it really helped me make my decision (well that and the fact it was $1400 off msrp!) :triumphant: LOL

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Congrat's. A friend/co-worker has the same machine and it's been a good one so far. I drove it when I borrowed it from him to fit a windshield for the new cage and it runs good. Very peppy and I was impressed. It has less HP than my '12 900 RZR, so I was expecting slightly less acceleration but was pleasantly surprised when I drove it.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
All I can say about this thing is WOW! Handling is over the top, I've found that the "best" travel speed is between 25-30 mph, this thing soaks up the bumps like no other. I was trying to go slow over short whoops (8-10" tall and spread about 2 ft apart), and I was getting beat up pretty bad. Sped up to 30 and it was just a slight ripple in the ride.

This thing also turns on a dime, I could go hammer down to about 40, lay hard on the brakes and go full lock either direction and gas it. The inside rear would lift slighty and it would pivot on the front tires. Yes...it "only" has 75 hp, but it will also do 45 mph in Low gear! I can't imagine running a 1k with over 100hp, not necessary for me and what I'm doing.

The only problem was the clutch cover isn't sealed good and going through 10" of water would through it up on the clutch and it would start slipping. Dealer told be to bring it back and they'd take care of it.

Also, if you're not using SC1 to cleanup after your ride, I highly suggest it. Power washed the rzr last night and used the SC1, looks like it came off the showroom floor. :encouragement:

Here's a couple of pics of the new ride:

Picking it up from the dealer

Another drive out to Knik Glacier

After the trip

I can barely get both rigs on my 20' trailer, the crew will be backed on after I get the cage back on (it's getting powder coated now). HAHAHA.....I just noticed my dog doing it's business in the background, sorry about that!

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Good looking machine.....looks exactly like my buddies. Here are a couple pic's of his after I made his windshields.

Something is definitely not well with the clutch cover. It should withstand WAY more water than 10".

Better be careful pitching it sideways. They handle great, but will still get you in trouble when trying to powerslide or do a donut......and it happens quick unless you're going extremely slow.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good looking machine.....looks exactly like my buddies. Here are a couple pic's of his after I made his windshields.

Something is definitely not well with the clutch cover. It should withstand WAY more water than 10".

Better be careful pitching it sideways. They handle great, but will still get you in trouble when trying to powerslide or do a donut......and it happens quick unless you're going extremely slow.
Thanks for the safety concern, I always start slow and move up to what could be considered the "edge" of the envelope and back off few notches. I used to race auto cross, had a sandrail, and have had multiple off road machines before getting into sxs. Please don't misinterpret what I'm saying, I do appreciate your concern, but I guess you could say it's not my first rodeo.

Nice work on the windshield btw. :encouragement:

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
......Please don't misinterpret what I'm saying, I do appreciate your concern, but I guess you could say it's not my first rodeo......
I understand. Just couldn't help but mention it. I've seen very experienced riders have near tragic mishaps in these things.....often in the first ride or two, before they had a chance to have enough seat time to have a true feel of the handling. They just feel so stable that they tend to inspire a false sense of security. Not trying to discount your driving skills.....just cringed a little when I read the "pitch it sideways at 40mph" comment. No offense intended.;)

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I understand. Just couldn't help but mention it. I've seen very experienced riders have near tragic mishaps in these things.....often in the first ride or two, before they had a chance to have enough seat time to have a true feel of the handling. They just feel so stable that they tend to inspire a false sense of security. Not trying to discount your driving skills.....just cringed a little when I read the "pitch it sideways at 40mph" comment. No offense intended.;)
Guess you missed the part where I said "lay hard on the brakes" lol. Trust me, I'd never go full lock at 40......well unless I was in a formula one car. ;-)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts