PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post here. I am in the market for a new SxS and am strongly considering a Polaris Ranger 900.

I love the fact that the 2013 Ranger 900 I rode in was so quiet and smooth. I just sold a 2014 Teryx 800 because it was so loud and rough riding! I will be using my wheeler to ride slower paced trails, lots of creek riding with sand and water, and some very mild utility usage. Power steering is a must have for me. I'll probably do a small lift and 28" tires shortly after purchase.

Should I be looking at one particular model Ranger 900, like a 2014 or 2015?

Polaris seems awfully proud that they bumped the power up an additional 13% for 2015. It does sound appealing to me, but will I truly notice the additional 8hp where I'm going to be riding? The deep, loose, sugar sand sucks up a lot of power in those creek bottoms. I'm not concerned with going 50mph, but I am concerned with going from 0-40mph as fast as I can.

Also, what do I need to know about the Ranger 900? Does it have any quirks, weak links that need immediate attention?

This would be my first ever Polaris product. All my other wheelers have been Japanese brands with a wet clutch and constant tension belt.

Thanks for your help!

Chris

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the seating of the Ranger, the ease of entry/exit and the option to have a 3rd rider tag along for a couple of miles if needed. The RZR seems fun, but I don't know if I could live with one every day. Is the RZR as quiet on the inside as a Ranger?

·
Special Advisor
1,480 Posts
Coming from just the opposite. 2013 Ranger 900 to 2014 T2. Yes, the Ranger is quieter, yes it rides better, but build quality is not even close to a Japanese machine. If you don't mind constant spending on wear parts (bushings,bearings,tie-rod ends,hubs,ball joints) Instead of up-grades. Go for it!!! Your riding environment will be a big-spender (sand and water) The machine just does not tolerate it very well. Is there things I miss about the 900? yes. But do I regret the Teryx purchase? Absolutely not! It's a much more robust, less spendy machine. I spend money on it because I want to, not have to! 0 to 40 my Rex will kill a Ranger 900........and a RZR900.....with no internal mods...:encouragement:

·
Registered
22 Posts
http://www.prcforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57730

To the OP, here is a thread I started as I'm currently in an '08 teryx 750. The ranger 900 is my top two replacement when the time comes. The other is the viking. People have not had one problem since their introduction other than adding the sound dampening kit. Bullet proof yamaha product as usual. But the power and torque won't be close to that of the 900. Plus two words..."turf-mode."

Sent from my twin-turbo charged iPad using Tapatalk...but I'm having trouble dialing in the boost so bear with me!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Coming from just the opposite. 2013 Ranger 900 to 2014 T2. Yes, the Ranger is quieter, yes it rides better, but build quality is not even close to a Japanese machine. If you don't mind constant spending on wear parts (bushings,bearings,tie-rod ends,hubs,ball joints) Instead of up-grades. Go for it!!! Your riding environment will be a big-spender (sand and water) The machine just does not tolerate it very well. Is there things I miss about the 900? yes. But do I regret the Teryx purchase? Absolutely not! It's a much more robust, less spendy machine. I spend money on it because I want to, not have to!

Collin great looking machine. Once the belt and floor recall are done Rex is an outstanding machine as well. The t2 for some is the perfect machine for what it comes with; storage, v-twin power, power steering, fox shocks, 3 year warranty, you really can't ask for a better fit for the price. Again, rugged lookin rig!!

Sent from my twin-turbo charged iPad using Tapatalk...but I'm having trouble dialing in the boost so bear with me!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I use mine every day for work and I am satisfied. I had an 800 for 3+ yrs and now my 2015 for 7 months. As for build quality this one is great. The 800 had some issues and I'm sure this one will, nearly all do. I think these are built nice. I have 2 grizzlies that I also use for work and they are outstanding as well. I also have a Rhino. If you ask if I have problems, I can find them on all my machines, but I research and choose wisely. You won't go wring with the Ranger and aftermarket support is great.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I LOVE my 2015 900XP!!!...I came from a 2010 800XP. The only thing I changed on my 800 were wheel bearings up front. Not a big deal at all. The 900's ride is excellent, it's super quiet and hauls balls. I would say go test drive a 900 and see for yourself but I love mine. Every machine is going to have its positives and negatives and everybody's needs and wants are different.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really liked the Kawi V-Twin low end grunt of the 783cc motor, especially after the VForce John stage 3 clutch. The fit and finish was not bad at all, I wouldn't say it was as good as my 2011 Yamaha Rhino though.

The Teryx4 800 ate it's share of parts in the year I had it. But it was not bad by any means. The front suspension bushings and inner tie rods were the only parts that I felt were junky. Once replaced with aftermarket parts, I had no more front end trouble. The thing that killed it for me with the Teryx4 800 was the noisy interior and rough ride. I tried loosening the suspension bolts but it still ride like a tank. There was noting to lessen the cacophony of noise coming from that V-Twin next to you. The exhaust tone was great and mellow, but inside the cabin was a ton of engine and drivetrain noise.

The Ranger has the upright seating that I like, and it has low gearing for bigger tires and slow technical stuff.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I am on my 3rd Ranger coming from Polaris ATV's. My 2013 900 so far has been bullet proof and the best Ranger ever. It is a much better engineered machine than their previous models. All of the brands have the weak and strong points, but 900 is hands above for utility, ease of service, carrying and towing loads. I like the bench seat for ease of getting in and out of plus carrying grand kids. Cab design, ease of installing and taking down is the best in the industry. I don't see how you can go wrong with the 900. Great machine!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have been thrilled with my 2014 900, I grow pumpkins for a living and this year we have had more rain than I can remember in the last twenty years. The only vehicle I had that could get the crew in and out of the field was the ranger. Even got our front wheel assist kubota M6800 stuck several times. Amazing machine on and off road. If only the tires lasted the mileage like the ranger.

·
Registered
22 Posts
ChrisH, I've been here a while keeping up on the 900 and it seems to be the real deal. I'm not brand loyal and do a lot of research as well. As you know no machine is perfect which is why the aftermarket will always thrive. But for a fast, powerful, quiet, well built, and utility based machine, the 900 will haul a half ton of material (which few of us are ever actually gonna do) and will also keep up with the big bore machines on the trails (minus some suspension) but I've heard of the machine having the best ride out of all utility machines (viking, teryx, JD, kubota, rhino, etc)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Love my 900 XP. Extremely easy to work on, smooth riding, and quiet vs the competition. Primary use is for hunting and just crusing around with the family. I have a 2014 and actually prefer it over the 2015. The air intake for the 2015 looks like it would peel off very easily.

Reactions: Rdfish1

·
Registered
7 Posts
I moved from a Ranger Series 11 after 10 years of hard use. The 900 is a dream with its power steering. Recent use has been bringing in a wood supply. It takes hills too steep to climb on foot comfortably, and with a full load. The remote wireless control for the winch is a nice feature.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Coming from an ATV (Grizzly 700 EPS) the Ranger 900 is a huge step up, except in 1 respect - I very much miss the engine braking. If it doesn't free wheel as much with tracks on I'll be fine, otherwise I may end up putting a Duraclutch, or some other "upgrade" on to keep the belt always tensioned.

Quieter than anything else I tried by far, easy in and out (great for the trail work I used it for), comfortable, and great visibility (forward better than the Grizzly). It's fun, but if I was looking for something with a lot of sport and a little utility I'd look at a RZR, or even a Can Am Commander.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've owened a 2014 RZR 1000 XP4 & now a 2015 Ranger 900 Crew, and the Ranger is by far more versatile on our farm. The RZR was a blast in the terms of speed, but it is pain to load anything of any weight in the back. I cannot give you an insight on the extra HP on the 2015, but coming from the RZR, I am glad that the Ranger has the power that it has.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ongoing and new threads like this one always reassure me that my replacement rig will be a ranger 900. Its a solid choice for 50% work 50% play

Sent from my fully boosted twin turbo HTC 1 M8 using tapasquawk!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I really like the Teryx, but the cabin noise was a deal breaker for me. The Kawi would smoke my 900 crew in the power department, but again who wants to wear ear plugs every time they ride?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I really appreciate the dialogue.

The power of the Teryx4 800 that I just sold was good. Don't get me wrong. I was able to edge out a 2013 Ranger 900 in a short drag race on sand. But as others mentioned, the interior noise was really loud. The rough ride, and the low power in reverse kinda killed the enjoyment of getting out and riding.

The Ranger seems like a better fit for me because it's so versatile. I think I can ride some trails, play around down in the river bottoms and sandy creek beds, spin a little mud, and do a little work once in a great while.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Rhino, then 2011 800XP LE, and now a 2014 900XP LE EPS. Its by far the best of all I have had. I think its the best Utility UTV out there. And one that you can still have a ton of "FUN" with.

Hunting, Working, Playing, we do all three.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts