PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I posted here a while back discussing an issue I've noticed during deer season. After riding around for roughly an hour to hour and half the Ranger will begin to lose power. It'll come to a stop rev back up lose power, it will go in and out no matter what you do with the pedal. It will finally come to a stop and cut off. It fires right back up and will do it again unless you allow it to sit for a while and cool down. The other issue I ran into this weekend was trouble starting the engine after running for a few minutes. If it sits for 10 minutes or so no issue. If I try to restart quickly it will have trouble turning over and staying on, after 10 tries or so it will start up and run fine. Haven't run into each problem at similar times the two problems have happened separately. I recently had the TPS sensor replaced, within the last 20 hours of driving time. I've read about Vapor lock, and I've thought about gas having sat for a week or two but it's happened now several times it happens too reliably for it to be something fluky like gas. I'm thinking fuel pump issues or vapor lock, any suggestions?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is an 800. They checked fuel pressure and it was I believe around 48 at idle and about that with the engine revved. However, it happens after things get hot so it could begin to fail later on.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
What year of 800? The early ones only needed around 45 psi as I recall, but the later ones needed 58psi. There were days specially when hot that the 800s we had would still vapor lock even with fuel pumps that tested okay. But when a fuel pump would begin to fail the vapor lock got definitely worse. The best time to check them is to leave the fuel pressure gauge hooked up while you take it for a drive and see what the fuel pressure is doing under wide open throttle or full load. That is the real true fuel pressure reading. and if it's anything less than spec, you will have vapor lock issues. Ethanol blended fuels will magnify the problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I should have specified all this it's a 2013 800 crew efi. The polaris place acted like the fuel test was ok but I am losing faith in this dealer. I asked them to check it out bearings and everything which they said was all good, then told them I had heard one bearing along the driveshaft squeaking, they called back and said 2 were out along it, doesn't appear they do a thorough job.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Yep, Adam nailed it. time for a new pump.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That's where I've been leaning after the TPS sensor didn't fix things. Going to give this dealer a call, spent way too much money to have them not fix the problem. However, I'm leaning towards changing out the fuel pump myself, I've read several threads about aftermarket ones being significantly cheaper. Have ya'll dealt with those before? Also, what do ya'll think of the vapor lock causing the restart issues, seems like people have said the issue was solved prior to the '13 model but the symptoms on mine are quite similar. I just checked the psi for the fuel pump being 58 at idle for the '13 800, dealer measured it at 54.5 had to recheck the printout they gave me.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Quantum fuel pump is a good replacement. Next time it gets hot and won't start, dump an ice cold bottle of water over the fuel rail. Bet it starts right back up. Changed one on my 800. Wouldn't pay a stealer to do it. Not a bad job.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I have used the quantum fuel pump Replacements as well. They work perfectly good. I know they jumped to 58 PSI somewhere around your model year, mostly to help with the vapor lock issues. Some machines that helped some machines that didn't. as others have said when it gives you issues try dumping water over the fuel line or on top of the fuel pump assembly to see if it will restart more immediately. On very hot days sometimes it could be 5 to 10 minutes before I could get the 800 to restart. Usually cycling the key repetitively before attempting to start helps them to build psi and fire up.

Your fuel pressure looks to be low to me, I think I would get a new fuel pump in. The quantum fuel pump Replacements I think are sold with just a fuel pump only, or as an assembly that is a drop in unit. If you can afford it I would spring for the complete drop in unit. Much easier, less mistakes to be made.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I'm going to change the pump, so the last question will be the nut on top, it says there is a special tool but i imagine large channel locks or a filter wrench could get it off, what have y'all used?

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Ok I'm going to change the pump, so the last question will be the nut on top, it says there is a special tool but i imagine large channel locks or a filter wrench could get it off, what have y'all used?
Dc, I use a gargatuan pair of Channel Locks... very dantily.... Mark all your 'pull aparts' with a black magic marker before disassembly for easy reassembly..... easy squeezy.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Changing this pump should fix the vapor lock issue or do you recommend rerouting or insulating the fuel line

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Dc, depends are where you are at and how you drive it.. Arizona, I would definitely insulate the fuel line. Alaska......................................not so much. Wouldn't hurt just to ensure trouble free riding. It is an 800 and the 800's are programmed LEAN and LEAN means HOT. A fuel programmer installed and adjusted properly would also guarantee no more VL.....

Dc, so those are two squid doing the mombo ? Links are no good and we don't FarceBook here on the island.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya I'm in South Texas so it gets plenty warm. What do you recommend insulating it with, and thanks for everyone's help throughout this

·
Registered
5,640 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, it's been a while but I finally had a chance to change the fuel pump, waited until I had the machine back home, thought it might be a difficult task. Took about 10 minutes, haven't gotten to drive it around but it sounds much better at idle, used to sound like it was about to die. Idles around 1200-1300 instead of 1150-1200. Vapor lock was a big problem this past weekend at the hunting camp. I'll let ya'll know how that is moving forward, also going to take RJ's suggestion for wrapping the fuel lines just in case. Thanks for ya'lls help!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts