PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought it is the topic of choice everywhere else. Use this thread to report what is happening in your area.
I don't think the virus is 1/2 as bad as the media driven panic. Ground beef, noodles, bread, and rice can not be found here.
They are reporting 1 case in our little county in Minnesota. Governor closed schools here starting Wednesday 18th to the 27th.
What is going on in your area?

Dennis

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
It is idiotic and I think Donny knows it but has to placate the LIBTARDS.......This is FLU SEASON right NOW . People get the FLU and some DIE from it . From the 2018- 2019 flu season statistics, this season was a walk in the park BEFORE Donny was forced to play Chicken Little. The toilet paper industry stocks must be booming right now. I am thinking ALL LIBTARDS should be rounded up and put into isolation together until AFTER the election, just in case :)

Conclusion. CDC estimates that influenza was associated with more than 35.5 million illnesses, more than 16.5 million medical visits, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths during the 2018–2019 influenza season.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
So far, around here, it's pretty much business as usual. TP is available, hand disinfectant is in short supply. I got regular gas yesterday for $1.78/gallon, went to Tractor Supply and had lunch at Zaxby's. Zaxby's is filling all orders as take out whether you eat in or not. No dishes to wash (Zalads), I guess and all workers are wearing gloves. I keep getting emails from companies I deal with telling me how they are doing extra store cleaning and taking measures to stop spread.
I'm with you, I think the whole COVID19 thing is being overblown. People with weak immune systems are at risk the rest of us will get flu like symptoms and be fine, if we get anything. If anything is causing problems it isn't the virus it's the reaction to the virus by Chicken Little minded people. To me, the scariest thing about the whole situation is that so many Americans are so easily frightened and have so little common sense or ability to critically think. Fighting over and hoarding toilet paper is ridiculous! The virus doesn't give you the runs and if it did, if you have a shower you are good if you run out of TP. You can't eat TP, at least you can't and expect to survive on it. Some are hoarding bottled water. Do people really think the basic utilities are going to shut down over this? Even if they did, how much water can you hoard and how will you protect it if things get that bad? Hand sanitizer shortages I get, hand washing is the most effective thing anyone can do to prevent any disease, but had sanitizer can be made at home from basic ordinary cleaners if necessary. If I were going to hoard anything it would be food and bullets, especially bullets, becasue with bullets I can get food by hunting or trading bullets for food.

I lived in S. FL through many hurricanes, including the worst one in my lifetime Andrew, where people had no utilities for months, and it wasn't like this. If people are in full panic mode over this they would never survive hurricane prep. I was a kid when the Cuban Missile Crisis took place and we all thought we were going to be nuked. Some people built bomb shelters, most people already had hurricane supplies, we had duck and cover drills in school, every Saturday at 1PM they tested the air raid sirens, government set up fallout shelters and we were supposed to find safe places in our homes as guided by government pamphlet, farm fields in Homestead, FL were used as missile sites by the military and there was increased military activity, but no one panicked like this, yet there was about a 100% chance of being killed if nuked.

After 9-11, before I retired from the Fire Department we had the Anthrax Scare where people were receiving letters with white powder in them. We ran several calls, maybe 20, out of my station (the department had about 50 stations at the time) to pick up envelopes that people suspected might have Anthrax in them. Most envelopes were from sources they didn't know so they freaked out and called us. Not one of those envelopes contained Anthrax. Obviously, some people panicked but it wasn't widespread like this.

I find it very odd that under Obama there was a national emergency for H1N1 Swine Flu and about 18k Americans died and no one blamed Obama or panicked like this and the media wasn't driving panic 24/7. Obama waited 6 months and until 1k people were dead and 20k infected (per the CDC) before he declared a public health emergency. In fact, I hardly remember hearing about it, and Swine Flu has a history of killing millions world wide during and just after WW I.
Obama waited six months after H1N1 became a pandemic to declare a public health emergency.

IMHO, what's driving this panic is the same people that scream at the sky and throw tantrums becasue their person didn't win. Weak minded and departed from reality.

On the upside, stocks are on sale. I bought some already and will buy more when I think the Market bottoms. On paper I've lost on what I bought earlier but it will come back. This will pass, America isn't going out of business. The panic is causing more problems than the disease.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Some California school districts closed UNTIL APRIL 6th........wtf ? Those Cali Libtards cannot add 2+2 without a calculator. (I know from expierience) They need to be in school 24/7 with teachers that were taught from somewhere BESIDES CALI ............

·
Registered
523 Posts
Here in rural central Texas life is pretty much unaffected. The ISD extended spring break by a week and tp is in short supply but other than that it's business as usual. I read today about the possibility of a nation wide two week business shutdown. That would be difficult for a lot of small businesses to handle.

There's a retired fellow from Australia visiting here that travels for his retirement. He was about to visit Cuba but was told he had to return to Australia. Once he's back he has to self quarantine for two weeks. He was informed that if he's caught out and about the fine is $30k which is about $18k here!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Montana has 6 cases including Montanans in other states. The ones who are in Montana are self-quarantining. The schools are closed locally for the time being, so grandkids will be here. My closest neighbor is about 200 yds away. The rest are 2 to 3 times that distance or more. My property is 130 acres, so we can go outside without any other human contact. The biggest concern was transmission from the grandkids. Still, we are stocked up with food and have no reason that we need to go anywhere.

One of my daughters lives in Paris. They are close to complete lockdown. She is going crazy because she likes to be out and about and never at her apartment. Her biggest concern other than that is work. If she does have to go to work, she’ll need to take the subway. She can mostly work from home, but misses people. Of course, that’s potential exposure. They have long lines to buy medicines like Tylenol or really anything at the pharmacy. They also have lines to go in/out of stores. They are trying to prevent the repeat of what is going on in Italy, but from what I read, the number of deaths is high because the age of population is high. We can make it weeks without going anywhere. My daughter suggested we should plan for 12 weeks. At this point, she’s really paranoid, but I don’t think it will get that bad here with the very low population density that we have unless people act stupid.

·
Registered
95 Posts
In my neck off the woods, on display, is American greed and panic at its worst, fueled by the liberal media. TP, paper towels, rubbing alcohol, nonperishable items, bread, even hot dogs/hamburger are being horded up. Schools and businesses are closing . I heard today some local Mom and Pops won't let you in and will take your grocery order(if they have it) and bring it to a window. This is driving up food costs which won't go down when this is over. My brother in upstate NY is seeing similar stupidity. It sounds like folks in the south and west have much more common sense and resolve.

·
Registered
334 Posts
In Vermont the governor has limited gathering of 50 or more, 12 known cases which is double from 24 hrs. ago.
I haven't been out since last Friday when I went to the ortho. Dr. and at the hospital office he is in they had a station set up to greet you and ask the common questions for virus screening and checked your temp ( my wife and I passed)

Yes, I am cautious but not in need of being panicked, as they say "wash your hand and do it often".
I have to go out tomorrow and see how bad it really is.
We live in a rural, lower income , older,(us included) part of the state, the wife went out maybe last Wednesday to the market and said the TP isle was pretty bare but managed to get a 4 mega roll pack.
which now leaves us ahead for a while.
The media did a number on this TP thing . They reported that some places were running low, so group #1 thought they needed to stock up. Group #2 saw that group #1 had more than needed in their basket, so group #2 had to buy it up because they feared group #1 would not leave any left.
And group #3 had to use the Sears catalog!!!!

And so it goes!!!!!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
The supply of TP may be replenished but intellect will remain in short supply.

The wife will be going grocery shopping tomorrow, it will be interesting to see how it goes. I may have to accompany her just to be sure she's safe from morons wanting to fight over food.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
AVE gets it.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Minnesota Governor shut down bars, restaurants, theaters, basically anywhere public and run into one another. Drive thru's will be open and curb side pickup. This is really going to effect the economy for a while.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Went grocery shopping here today with the wife and the panic is slowly creeping in. No beef, store limits of 2 beef items and paper products per person, all meat products almost gone, store butcher area shut down, no bottled water, about the only things left in canned goods or other no perishables are gluten free (yuck). The deli is no longer allowing people to eat at the tables in the store. Some restaurants like Hardees are closed, the ones that are open are take out only. A couple people in the grocery store were wearing gloves and masks, but there was no fighting over food and everyone was civil. It's going to be an interesting few weeks ahead.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Made it to the super market this morning around 10:30 and all though it was not very busy I could tell that there was a bit of panic in the air.
Saw one cart full of fresh meat for what I gather is a 2 person household
We did a small shopping and if it was possible, to pick up another (1) pack of TP just to be slightly a head---- nope shelves were empty! Still had a half of all shelf space for paper towels.
* Canned tuna was practically sold out, as was the pasta/macaroni section.
*Very little milk and butter left , and because you need white bread to make a sandwich, shelf at the minimum.
*Fresh meat section was near picked clean.
*Butcher area closed
*Canned vegetables was nearing the extinction mark.
*Boiling bags of rice to a minimum left.
* Distilled water none existent as was nearly every other water
** To my surprise the canned soup shelf space was intact.
I have not seen this type buying since I lived in NJ and having people panic because "a major snow storm is coming"
The mind set is a very sad state right now , the sheep will follow blindly.
Wash your hands!!! and often!!

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I had to go to the hardware today. When I went in they had stacks and stacks of TP in the isle. Then I realized everyone ahead of me had two or three packs of it. 20200317_122358 virus TP.jpg

·
Registered
132 Posts
People are on edge here in Kansas. I think there are 19 confirmed cases. There has been the usual run on the ever essential toilet paper here too. Our governor just closed all schools in the state for the rest of the year an hour ago. We shall see how this all pans out, but for me and my wife, we are ready for the zombies. 3 months supply of food and water, more ammo than we could possibly ever shoot, and faith in God. Should have bought stock in Georgia Pacific!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
In 25 years we will look back at the "pandemic of 2020" and recall that this was the way NOT to run a pandemic. This is crazy. The politicians are running the show for the most part, and they are competing with each other to see who can do the best job of covering their ass, and close the most businesses. In Utah they have closed the schools and all restaurants. Everything else to follow. Most stores are picked clean.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts