PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am into my third season with my 400 I just realized the 4wd was not working and I think not since late last hunting season.I travel a mile or so in turff mode and 4wd in the woods light always came on and did bog a couple time last year late in the season again last weekend but someone was with me and saw the front wheels not turning.I brought in to my shop after a friend helped me get out and played with the elect. connrections and it started working not sure which connection.My question if the light comes on and 4wd drive does not engage how do I tell it is working.When not in the woods I can feel when you turn but on the trails I use in the woods I cannot turn to test.Is their a simple way to tell if it is in 4wd besides the light.Tanks Kip

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm no expert but a couple things I'd try would be to jack up both ends and put it in gear and see what turns. Not sure where you live but you could try to goose it on ice, snow, or something slick and see what spins.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Unplug the 2 wire harness leading to the front diff' and check with a multimeter to see if it's getting power.

How long has it been since the diff' fluid was changed? The hilliard system is pretty sensitive to dirty fluid, so I'd definitely change it if it hasn't been done recently.

Reactions: mustangwagz

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unplug the 2 wire harness leading to the front diff' and check with a multimeter to see if it's getting power.

How long has it been since the diff' fluid was changed? The hilliard system is pretty sensitive to dirty fluid, so I'd definitely change it if it hasn't been done recently.
The fluid is not the problem.The light comes on for the 4wd but 4wd can be disconnected and no way of telling it isn't in 4wd until you bog down .Seems like their would be a simple fix to insure it is in 4wd.I hunt a palmetto swamp with narrow trails and soft bottom cannot just pass anywhere you want.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Jack it up to get all 4 tires off the ground and see if the front tires spin when you put it in AWD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts