PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thing has had the infamous issue of cracking easily, but will run about 5ft and die. Fires right back up. If you hold the pedal when it dies, it will backfire.
New complete fuel pump assembly with 40psi. Complete new throttle body with sensors. New air/fuel senor and rubber bushing. New plug, still waiting on wire to be received. The current wire shows no issue and neither does coil. Installed new pigtail on tps and all wiring and grounds check.
This thing runs like a champ one day and the next day it will not get out of its own way. When it dies, it's like the is turned off but still has juice on all components and fire to plug. Makes no sense to anyone that has checked it out and I'm not a novice mechanic either. No problem with this unit until the past year. About 360hours on Ranger. Unless there is something that we are missing, it sure makes me think the ECM is bad. No normal signs of ECM failing though. I think I've read every pertinent post and nothing has worked so far. This unit is a work vehicle that isn't taken in watery areas and stored inside its whole life.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
7,942 Posts
"When it dies, it's like the is turned off but still has juice on all components and fire to plug. "

C, wouldn't be the first Ranger with a worn out ignition switch. Try 'the jiggle' on the key sitting still to rule it out.. About 12 bucks for a new ignition switch on EBAY....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"When it dies, it's like the is turned off but still has juice on all components and fire to plug. "

C, wouldn't be the first Ranger with a worn out ignition switch. Try 'the jiggle' on the key sitting still to rule it out.. About 12 bucks for a new ignition switch on EBAY....
Ignition is good, new battery, new plug /wire and checked all grounds. It will run like brand new for several days, go to crank it randomly and it starts out running rough and you can drive it 5ft before it dies. When it starts you just have to park it. It may run fine the next day or may take a week before it runs good again. I would think if it's the ecm it fail and be bad all the time. You can move wire and connections with no change.
Any other ideas?

·
Administrator
7,942 Posts
Ignition is good, new battery, new plug /wire and checked all grounds. It will run like brand new for several days, go to crank it randomly and it starts out running rough and you can drive it 5ft before it dies. When it starts you just have to park it. It may run fine the next day or may take a week before it runs good again. I would think if it's the ecm it fail and be bad all the time. You can move wire and connections with no change.
Any other ideas?
C, are there any stored EFI codes ?

·
Administrator
7,942 Posts
61 is end... Must be the ECM going..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts