PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

Death at Hatfield McCoy Trails

16K views 20 replies 21 participants last post by  RANGER KID 
#1 ·
As we were coming off the mountain Saturday afternoon we passed a small group with a rental atv and rhino. Come to find out today that they were in town for a reunion and had been hitting the trails for a change of pace. Anyway, the father that rented the rhino had let his 17 year old son drive and apparently they ended up over a cliff while the son was driving and the father ultimately passed away. Kinda strange since we pulled over and let them through just earlier in the day.

Be careful out there guys

That is all i know for now, I'm not even sure the names have been released to the news yet.

#3 ·
Man O man I hate to hear that. I feel so sorry for the boy driving and the rest of the family. We need to send up a little prayer for them.

Brian

#4 ·
Man, I hate to hear that! Good things can turn bad in a hurry. I know I was a nervous wreck the whole time this weekend when Kim was driving a quad (her first time).

~Lynette

#10 ·
What a tragedy. My thoughts and prayers to the family. Riding in the mountains and plateau areas around here is very dangerous....especially for the inexperienced. There are MULTITUDES of places to do exactly what happened there. Like Dave said, a warning to others....never let the inexperienced use your machine in that kind of terrain. One paniced stomp on the wrong pedal could mean disaster.

#14 ·
I know some riders don't wear a helmet while riding a sidexside but better safe than sorry. Jerry

#18 ·
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by MVRanger

Man, I hate to hear that! Good things can turn bad in a hurry. I know I was a nervous wreck the whole time this weekend when Kim was driving a quad (her first time).

~Lynette
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I was too when I found out the ATV was brand spankin new. Some of the hills were a bit much for such a new rider. She handled them very well and didn't seem to be fazed by them. (which can be a good thing, hesitation can be as bad as poor judgement)

I think her Hawkeye ATV with it's independent rear suspension helps out alot. I Have had both and IRS is much better with traction.

Plus, she had lots of support incase she got into trouble. another major plus for new riders.

#19 ·
Our thoughts and praayers to the family.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.