PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new member here. I just picked up a 2009 Ranger 700 XP. It's got 26-9-12 and 26-11-12 tires (F/R) and they are pretty much at the end of life. Any siggestions on a decent set of general purpose tires? Looking for trails, rock, light mud.
It has Kenda Bear Claw's currently. I'd prefer to spend under $400, but not too excited about buying a Wanda or SunF (China)

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Reactions: Rooster59

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are those legit Maxxis, or clever knockoffs? That does seem like a really good price!
What terrain do you use them in?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Are those legit Maxxis, or clever knockoffs? That does seem like a really good price!
What terrain do you use them in?
As far as I can tell they are legit Maxxis. Interestingly my Dad's new 2019 Northstar came with Maxxis tires that have the exact same treat pattern but a different name. Apparently they are a contract tire made for Polaris and sold by them.
I run 99% hard pack and pavement and some fire road type trails, some rock, no mud. My use is also 99% utility/work.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I agree with rocknroll, if mud riding is important to you then the Ceros probably aren't the best choice. If you don't go in deep stuff you can get by with Ceros. They are smooth and quiet and as far as I can tell thus far, wear well.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would strongly recommend a 8 ply tire myself, have had numerous flats with 6 ply, never had a flat with 8 ply yet... Knock on wood🤣

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I never had a flat with the OEM Carlisle tires so I chose the 6 ply Maxxis Ceros becasue they were considerably lighter than 8 ply tires. I think the Carlisles were only 4 ply so the Ceros are at least 30% stronger. My ranger is a 570Full Size XP. I've never run short on power but I don't run fast. Even so, more rotating mass is harder to get moving and harder to stop. With a 900 or 1000 this may not even be a consideration, power is nearly double that of a 570, although the extra rotating mass would still affect brake life to some extent. If your riding is over sharp rocks, thorns or other sharp nasties then 8 ply would be an advantage. My trails are "groomed" to some extent, because I keep them that way.
I guess what I'm trying to point out is that the ply rating necessary probably has as much to do with the type of terrain you ride and the available power of your vehicle as it does anything else. Some folks buy tires based on their looks or becasue that's what their buddies have or becasue of hype. I got the Ceros becasue they run well on paved roads and the trails I ride, are medium weight, quiet, smooth and will enjoy good tread wear. Those qualities were more important to me than puncture resistance. Everyone has their own set of requirements.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I destroyed my oem Carlisle on one machine just following a bush hog, we have 8 ply on my sons 570 ranger, don't see a difference in power., It was just a opinion, price will probably be more than op would want to spend anyway

·
Registered
62 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I can tell you this, we use SunF tires on all of our machines, including UTVs. Love them! I would recommend the SunF Power II tire, as I used it on my Pioneer 500 here in AZ and it was an excellent tire for general purpose. I know you said you don't want to use Chinese tires, but you may find that more tires are made in China than you realize. I'm installing a new set of SunF tires on my 2020 Ranger Crew 1000 Premium this week! And, SunF likes that we use their tires on all of our machines on the YouTube channel, so if you use promo code "southwestorv" you will save 5% on your tire order at SunF.com. At the very least glance through their UTV tires: UTV TIRES

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just be mindful of the load ratings. The SunF tires I looked at for my full size 570 crew were not rated to the ranger GVW.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, new member here. I just picked up a 2009 Ranger 700 XP. It's got 26-9-12 and 26-11-12 tires (F/R) and they are pretty much at the end of life. Any siggestions on a decent set of general purpose tires? Looking for trails, rock, light mud.
It has Kenda Bear Claw's currently. I'd prefer to spend under $400, but not too excited about buying a Wanda or SunF (China)
I put the Tusk terrabite on my ranger 8 ply and they’re Dot rated so if you’re somewhere that allows you to ride them on the streets then they can’t hassle you about the tires. I think I paid $426 for all four.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I put Deestone D942 Trail Crusher 8 ply on my 09 XP. Bought them from Simple Tire for around $400. I use them in everything but not much mud, sticks, brush, etc.

After reading other tire post, I never considered "tire noise" when riding a Ranger! That's the last thing I hear.😀

1 - 20 of 21 Posts