PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While doing research on another project (separate dedicated charger for winch batteries) I came across these products which I am considering installing on the 48v power drive batteries. Both are made by Battery Minder. The object is to extend battery life and reduce water usage.

I found a useful article worth reading here: GO TO www.batteryminders.com select "Knowledge" from the horizontal menu then "letter from Bill Woods" from the drop down menu.

The products I am contemplating are:

1. Battery Minder OBD-48: 48v on board Desulfator. $109.95. This unit runs off the charging current going through the batteries and needs no other power source. Ergo it is on when the Delta-q is operating and then turns off when the voltage drops below a preset value. Although the literature says it can handle up to 8 batteries I would probably purchase 2 and would install 1 on each of the 2 banks of 4 batteries wired in series. ($219.90 for 2)

2. Battery Minder 48021: 48v, 2 amp, Charger/Maintainer/Desulfator. $313.95. The article above discusses the benefits of running this in concert with an OEM charger (Delta-q QuiQ). I would splice this into the Delta-q 110v input and run simultaneous with the Delta-q as an auxiliary on board charger. Another option is to charge up with the Delta-q and then use this separately as a maintainer desulfator.

Pics in order:

OBD_48__06147_1405389673_1280_1280.jpg

48021__33674_1405389671_1280_1280.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
If I'm reading this correctly you would choose one or the other of the product listed above. You would not use both simultaneously?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have purchased 2 Battery Minder 48v OBD-48s. One each will be wired into each bank of 4 batteries wired in series and will operate when the Delta-q is operating.

I have decided not to use the Battery Minder 48021 48v battery charger/maintainer desulfator. It is a good unit and could be used in conjunction with or separately with the Delta-q as described in the above article (1st post) AND in conjunction with the OBD-48.

I will install the OBD-48s and will then install a 48v solar battery charging system (instead of using the 48021) on each bank as a battery maintainer(s)/range extender(s) and off grid charger when necessary. The OBD-48s will work with both the Delta-q and the solar charging system.

The solar charging system will consist of 2 45w, 15v solar panels and 2 8A 350w Waterproof MPPT 48v Boost controllers. A dedicated panel and controller for each bank of 4 batteries.

BTW the 2 winch batteries are also getting a separate solar panel with controller/charger/maintainer/desulfator. I've chosen the Battery Minder 12v, 15w SCC-015 for this task. (see pic below)

SCC_015__12474_1405389654_1280_1280.jpg

·
Registered
80 Posts
I use my battery minder only during the week when in storage and use Polaris charger on the weekends between runs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts