PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Ranger diesel that was recently purchased and not running with only 196 hours. It has a PPE turbo kit on it. It had been sitting for a couple of years.

I drained the fuel and cleaned the tank. Replaced the fuel filter/water separator and primed the system. I'm getting fuel to the injection pump but not the injectors. The fuel cutoff solenoid is working correctly. What I think is happening is that the fuel rack "lever" that the solenoid makes contact with is stuck in the closed position. If I remove the solenoid and put my finger on the part that the solenoid plunger hits it doesn't move more that 1/16". It doesn't matter if the electric fuel pump is running or not. The service manual doesn't delve into the internals of the injection pump and diesels in general are not where my experience lies.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Did you crank it over while cracking the banjo nut on the fuel line where it connects to the injectors? What brand engine is in it?

Edit- is it common rail or 3 separate fuel lines to each injector?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
POS polaris (Adam) that used to hang here may be able to help. Just doesn't come here much. Hit him up on SxS nation. Goes by Diesel fumes over there.

Reactions: BPS

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you crank it over while cracking the banjo nut on the fuel line where it connects to the injectors? What brand engine is in it?

Edit- is it common rail or 3 separate fuel lines to each injector?
Yanmar. I did open the nut on the injectors and no fuel. There are three fuel lines.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
POS polaris (Adam) that used to hang here may be able to help. Just doesn't come here much. Hit him up on SxS nation. Goes by Diesel fumes over there.
Thanks for the SxS Nation idea. I PM'd him on here but haven't heard anything back.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Thanks for the SxS Nation idea. I PM'd him on here but haven't heard anything back.
Try him on SXS nation on FACEBOOK... Adam used to have a Ranger w/a Yanmar deisel turbo...... Got rid of it...but he would know if anybody would..

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I've worked on diesel's for 48 years, but when it comes to injection pumps, I leave that up to the guy sittin in the little air conditioned room with lots of testing tools.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The system is self priming so no cracking is needed. I would say you're on the right track with the pump being stuck. Like you said, the manual doesn't go into the pump and says that you need to talk to someone from Yanmar.

For what it's worth, see what kind of fuel flow you're getting. I had a lift pump failure and the pump was running but the flow coming out was practically nothing. I could put my finger on the end of the hose and it would stop. It won't run without a lift pump. If you find out that it is the lift pump I highly recommend the factory replacement and stay far away from any cheap Amazon replacements and don't use a higher pressure pump.

I'll look through my manual tomorrow and at the machine and see if anything else comes to mind.

Also check the fuel screw. As part of the PPE turbo, they have you turn it up some. It could be that it was taken the other way or that someone overdid it and caused some other issues. I'd really be wary if someone had also messed with the governor screw.

With anything like this you may set yourself up for a runaway. If you have any concern I'd prep and remove the intake from the turbo to the engine and find something sturdy enough to cover the intake to stop it. You can cause a turbo overspeed by running one unloaded in a situation like this, but I don't think you would have time to kill it with the intake system on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts