PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Series 11 500 (4X4, not 6X6) with a few different differential problems, both front and rear...

I am tearing out the front differential to see where the horrible pops, slipping, grinding, and no reverse on passenger side are coming from (Sprague and rollers? Hubs and axles? Other? We shall see..)

But besides that... I lost power to the rear wheels earlier this year (have been driving in AWD using just the fronts, but now I of course have the problems listed above). The rear driveshaft rotates as it should when in H, L, and R, however it obviously isnt engaging the wheels... Where do I start / what do I look for here?! I did not hear any loud noises / explosions, etc., one day they just werent working... AWD selected or not, and differential locked or not makes no difference, driveshaft always rotates, wheels never engage in any setting.

As long as we're asking for help... There is also always power to the front wheels, whether AWD is selected or not?

Thanks!

· Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
4,156 Posts
Before you tear into your transmission check your rear axles (called driveshafts by Polaris) They tend to be the weak link and if they are broken you'll hear noise and it won't go in RWD. I don't know if it's different with your Ranger but the newer models the propeller shaft is always engaged to the front differential and the front axles are engaged electrically when the rear wheel spin a specific amount.

Reactions: Tweedlinn

· Administrator
8,062 Posts
Tweed, you are probably going to need a service manual .. Here is a $10.00 pdf download you can print out or view online. 2004 Polaris Ranger 500 4X4 Service Manual PDF Download

Axles are not even listed on PARTZILLA so that may a problem if replacements are needed. EBAY has some SERIES 11 parts available but make sure you identify your exact BUILD DATE ... I assume the rear has shafts running through axle tubes similar to the 2006 6X6 rear drive . Once again EBAY has some parts available.

Series 11 parts schematic 2004 POLARIS UTV 2X4/4X4/6X6 Parts | OEM UTV Parts | Partzilla.com

Reactions: Tweedlinn

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys! I haven't torn into the rear yet, because I started with the front, and... that roll pin... Finally got it out today, and, well, I think I may have found the problem lol

Automotive tire Tire Tread Synthetic rubber Rim

· Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
4,156 Posts
I'd say you found it. Is that grease in there as lube? Do you think the problem occurred due to improper lube?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts