PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I absolutely hate the stock clutch in my 13 ranger 900. Slow take off is horrible and so is overall performance. I have 26" tall tires and no plans to go any bigger. I have a cage in the rear I custom made for my kids so I do carry some weight. I want to purchase a new clutch set up asap but don't know which one to go with. I did talk to Dale and the one he recommended was 650 dollars. I would like to have e.b.s. also because I have had it and liked it on all my Polaris atv's. Just wanted to here what you guys thought of these two different set-ups. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Duraclutch is the way to go smooth start up no belt burn pulls more and great engine braking you can park it on a hill in gear and shut it off and it will hold as if in park you. I have also pop started mine when the battery was low

·
Registered
419 Posts
Anyone tried a CV tech primary on their ranger? You can get one of these set ups from 3p

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Whoever has whichever setup is going to say that is the way to go. I am thrilled with my DDP ultimate setup and I know slowroller is with the same DDP setup in his 900XP. The Duraclutches look nice too and I am sure you would e pleased either way you went. I know mine is smooth as silk starting off in forward or reverse. The engine braking works great also. I have riden the mountains before and after and the DDP setup and light-years better than stock.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I'm guessing the horrible jerkiness at takeoff is gone. Did you feel like it helped your acceleration?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Problem with the duraclutch is they don't have anything for over a 28" tire, which I see you don't plan to go over 26".

I want a clutch that will make this expensive machine feel like it should and be able to handle big tires 30" and upward. Don't know the best clutch for that but seems most like DDP. Any suggestions? Looking at 31" on my ranger 900

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
No jerkiness whatsoever. No clunk, clang nothing, just starts moving almost like an electric golf cart. Acceleration is better with my DDP clutch and 31s than it was with stock clutch and stock tires. Top speed is the same. Another huge plus is DDP gives you the owner, Dale. He is who you talk to when you call and he will custom setup your clutch according how you ride, tire size etc. You also get a set of weights to adjust yourself if you need to change performance etc later.

So I'm guessing the horrible jerkiness at takeoff is gone. Did you feel like it helped your acceleration?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm waiting for my DDP clutch to arrive!...I was told by one of the grand poobahs on here that DDP is the way to go for my setup. I called and talked with Dale and the deal was done. I have not heard one bad thing about DDP.

Reactions: Expat

·
Vendor
2,124 Posts
I absolutely hate the stock clutch in my 13 ranger 900. Slow take off is horrible and so is overall performance. I have 26" tall tires and no plans to go any bigger. I have a cage in the rear I custom made for my kids so I do carry some weight. I want to purchase a new clutch set up asap but don't know which one to go with. I did talk to Dale and the one he recommended was 650 dollars. I would like to have e.b.s. also because I have had it and liked it on all my Polaris atv's. Just wanted to here what you guys thought of these two different set-ups. Thanks in advance!
We don't have a clutch kit for a 13 only 14, can't swap out secondary and give you the set up you want on a 13, I think I need to change the years on our site

Now the Duraclutch beats everything to death, it is pricey but it is the best set up period. I also agree with the statement said about no set up past 28"

But I firmly believe what Dalton said about Rangers, low to low and high too high can't clutch it out hence the reason they don't have a kit for anything other than a 14 900 and it is just springs

Keep in mind, a Duraclutch is not a kit, it is a whole new primary, secondary and belt. They say if you burn a belt up in 5000 miles they will give you one.

Before you do anything at least call me about it.

Todd

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
I have a question for those of you who have up graded their clutch. After the up grade , do you still need to use low range when driving slower than 25 mph?

This is my reason for asking. I have the bed with 8 inches of water , 200lbs of equipment , pulling a trailer and generator. I have to run in low for about 4-5 miles which takes close to a half an hour. I would like to drive faster at lower rpms while on asphalt. Looking at the dura-clutch system for my working match up. I would like to get some in-put from the guys that have these clutches.
Thanks !

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
No. Dale will custom setup your clutch for you weigh and main use. Mine was set in the middle, do everything range. My high range is now more user friendly with 31" tires and it was with the stock clutch and stock tires. Now setup for a heavy load and towing like you do would cost you some top end speed, nothing is free!

I have a question for those of you who have up graded their clutch. After the up grade , do you still need to use low range when driving slower than 25 mph?

This is my reason for asking. I have the bed with 8 inches of water , 200lbs of equipment , pulling a trailer and generator. I have to run in low for about 4-5 miles which takes close to a half an hour. I would like to drive faster at lower rpms while on asphalt. Looking at the dura-clutch system for my working match up. I would like to get some in-put from the guys that have these clutches.
Thanks !

·
Registered
704 Posts
I had some issues with my DDP clutch which happens sometimes but I can tell you that Dale will respond and make sure it gets resolved. He will also help you fine tune the set up for your needs. I have a lift and 28 inch tires along with the weight of a full cab so my set up is a little different than most. All of this was considered when he did my clutch.

I also think the Duraclutch would be a great product with some fine tuning for my application. Would love the test one.

·
Vendor
2,124 Posts
I had some issues with my DDP clutch which happens sometimes but I can tell you that Dale will respond and make sure it gets resolved. He will also help you fine tune the set up for your needs. I have a lift and 28 inch tires along with the weight of a full cab so my set up is a little different than most. All of this was considered when he did my clutch.

I also think the Duraclutch would be a great product with some fine tuning for my application. Would love the test one.
I don't think you would need to tune it for your application. I have been using one for several months and absolutely love it. It is the reason I decided to keep the Ranger when normally we buy the vehicles for business then sell them for the next thing

Todd

·
Registered
187 Posts
So how much of an improvement could one expect from the inexpensive Dalton clutch system vs. the DDP?

·
Vendor
2,124 Posts
So how much of an improvement could one expect from the inexpensive Dalton clutch system vs. the DDP?
Here is where I stand on it. Dalton tested the 2014 Ranger 900, wanted to make a full blow clutch kit for it. He states once again Polaris put too low of low and too high of high gear in the Ranger so using a full blown kit will not overcome it. He made weights etc to test on, just no return or enough to sell you a $300 kit so he says the spring kit is the best you can hope for on the Ranger 900 and will NOT sell people something that does not work.

I trust him and if he can't do it no one can.

Now the Duraclutch mentioned is a whole new clutch system that makes a big difference in several areas it is just pricey!! That is what I run and we sell them too.

Todd

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Anyone tried both the Duraclutch and full monte DDP clutch? Comparisons. Impressions?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have the DDP clutch right now but did I read there is no Duraclutch for my 2013? I don't mind spending a little money to try one and test it in my application if it's available.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Maybe they will have one available at some point. I have 28's now but will be going bigger in the future so I need a clutch that will handle 30 inch tires also.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts