PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wound up leaving my '14 570 outside during a fairly good rain storm overnight. I started it up
and backed out of the driveway and headed to the shop and made it about 50' before the belt
started slipping, made it another 50' and was done. Pushed it the rest of the way to the shop.
Pulled the red drain plug and maybe a 1/2 tspn or water in the sump. Didn't have time to pull
cover until next day. Looks as tho rain water leaked in between bed and cab right into belt
cover breather tube. Dried everything out and works fine now. Seems like poor design that
a simple rain storm could disable it. Anybody else ever have this problem? I'm thinking a small
alum shield over top of vent between bed and cab?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
And that's where simply snorkeling the buggy will.keep you dry

Reactions: Rum Runner

·
Registered
406 Posts
570 has the worst designed air boxes u gotta snorkel them, the freakn intake is on the side of the roll cage easy to get drowned good luck

·
Registered
451 Posts
Same thing can happen when you wash it. I stuff a rag in the clutch exhaust when I wash it. If you put it in neutral and rev engine a bit, the clutch housing will heat up some and dry the belt enough to go.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mine did the same thing on me once. Rain blew in and belt slipped. Pulled plug and revved motor a bit. Replaced plug and no problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like snorkeling is in order, at least the clutch breather for now, thx again!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
570 has the worst designed air boxes u gotta snorkel them, the freakn intake is on the side of the roll cage easy to get drowned good luck
Pretty bad when that amount of water will disable the Ranger. I haven't been in a lot of water (a few flooded railbeds, but nothing over the floorboards) in my 500.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Don't try this. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I know there are a lot of pics of Rangers in water & mud over their tires, but a lot of us never see mud or water that would go halfway up the tires. To think that leaving a Ranger out in the rain will disable it, not due to electrical issues, is pretty pathetic. I've been caught out riding & hit w/ downpours. Just hunker down until it stops. I guess having a "old tech 500" is the way to go.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I agree. You should't have to snorkel a machine to park it in the rain. Polaris does some nice things, but sometimes their engineers come off as just plain stupid.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts