PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum but I couldn't seem to find any information on this, I'm doing a DIY CVT blower system for my Ranger I've got everything I need ready to go except for one thing. From my understanding of both the mechanical operation of a CVT system and from what I have seen on other vehicles I should attach the blower motor so that it is pushing air down through the CVT intake tube forcing hot air out of the CVT vent. To me this makes more logical sense since the fan will have much more force blowing air down to cool it rather than trying to suck hot air out. I'm 90% sure that is the correct way to install it but if I'm mistaken please feel free to correct me. I will have the fan hooked to keyed power so once the key is turned the fan is on otherwise it will greatly restrict the flow of air to the CVT.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Most fans, turbines and pumps are more efficient when they push. Trying to pull a vacuum well just sucks

·
Super Moderator
6,815 Posts
I searched the forum but I couldn't seem to find any information on this, I'm doing a DIY CVT blower system for my Ranger I've got everything I need ready to go except for one thing. From my understanding of both the mechanical operation of a CVT system and from what I have seen on other vehicles I should attach the blower motor so that it is pushing air down through the CVT intake tube forcing hot air out of the CVT vent. To me this makes more logical sense since the fan will have much more force blowing air down to cool it rather than trying to suck hot air out. I'm 90% sure that is the correct way to install it but if I'm mistaken please feel free to correct me. I will have the fan hooked to keyed power so once the key is turned the fan is on otherwise it will greatly restrict the flow of air to the CVT.
You are correct.

·
Vendor
2,121 Posts
The MTNTK performance blower we sell is used onto exhaust side on Rangers and that is where mine is and has been for two years.

Blowing or sucking would be an argument about like what oil is best. 100 cfm is 100 cfm either way the way I look at it.

They push on other vehicles and this was this way due to ease of installation on the Rangers but I know they studied it tested etc

Todd

·
Super Moderator
6,815 Posts
Blowing or sucking would be an argument about like what oil is best. 100 cfm is 100 cfm either way the way I look at it.

Todd
This statement would be incorrect.

Reactions: summermn

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Looks to me like if you have a difference in air temp of 200 degrees intake to exhaust, 100f vs 300f, you will lose approximately 27% of your volume by mounting on the hot side because hot air is less dense.
So that 100 cfm turns into 73 cfm.
I just did a quick and dirty calculation so if this is incorrect feel free to correct it. I don't have the patience to do much research any more.
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-density-specific-weight-d_600.html

·
Registered
917 Posts
Every crack and hole if sucking will bring in dust etc that your trying to eliminate. 100 cfm is not enough pressure to cause frictional heating and is not the same in reference to what rocknroll implies
I've see enough issues on intake side of engines where a minor leak has wrecked them after ingesting dirt etc

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
"So that 100 cfm turns into 73 cfm."
So if you blow 100 cfm in the cold side it would be 127 cfm when it comes out the hot side after heating up.
If you suck 100 cfm out of the hot side you are only pulling in 73 cfm of cold air.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts