PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to replace the pillow block/carrier bearing that the drive line goes through, under the front seat on my 2013 800 crew. It doesn't have a grease fitting, and has begun to squeal when I drive it. Any suggestions on which part and where to order? I saw this one posted somewhere, but can't find where and am not sure if it'll work on my crew.

1-3/16" Pillow Block Bearing UCP206-19

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
That's the one I installed in my '12 RZR4XP (900). It works fine there with some minor modifications......but according to the Polaris parts fiche, the Ranger uses a completely different part number. This was discussed a while back and I think it has a different height (driveshaft is closer to the same plain as the mounting surface). You can probably search and find a different one that will work, but I don't think that particular one is what you need.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was afraid of that. Here's a couple of pics I took of the part I am having squealing come from. The housing has a stamped # of JIB PP206 on top. The silver bearing has two small allen set screws on the forward sleeve. The two pieces of housing were bolted down, through the frame, and had a zip tie on either side. I'm not sure why those were there.

How do I remove the drive line from the knuckle, and then am I supposed to persuade the bearing off?

View attachment 7392 View attachment 7393 View attachment 7394

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Pic's aren't working.

The driveshaft slides into the bearing. You'll have to unbolt the carrier and remove the driveshaft. It's a little work, but not overly complicated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was able to remove the two bolts on the carrier housing. I then worked the drive shaft loose from the rear gear case, by sliding it side to side and back and forth a few times. I then slid the drive shaft through the front A-arm on the drivers side. There is a spring/clamp that I used hog nose pliers to remove from in front of the bearing. The bearing at that point should have slid off, but as with all my projects, it didn't and I had to tap it several times with a hammer after soaking it in a penetrant.

I am in the process of trying to find a replacement locally, but the dealer didn't have the bearing and would have to order it from Polaris ($40) and was unsure of how long it would take to get it here. (I need my unit Friday to duck hunt in) I went to the local parts house and they ordered a bearing without the housing based off of the digital caliper measurements they took.

None of these options are as ideal as coming home with a cast bearing that has a grease fitting, but I have my fingers crossed that this band aid will repair it until I can fix it properly.

In the meanwhile, I was going to use my 4 wheelers, but both those batteries are dead. Guess I'll have to start digging in the couches and old coat pockets for the $180 to buy those.:nightmare:

I've attached the pics of the housing and the attached bearing/shaft.

Thanks again for the help. Y'all are awesome!

IMG_20141124_172741_606[1].jpg IMG_20141124_172927_926[1].jpg

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
That is COMPLETELY different than the one in my RZR. I was expecting it to look very similar, but apparently that's not the case at all. My OEM bearing rode in a rubber block that (I assume) acts as a vibration damper. Also, there was no way to remove it from the RZR without removing the driveshaft.....which requires unbolting (but not removing) the front diff' and sliding it forward.

·
Super Moderator
6,838 Posts
Here's a few other pics of the drive shaft, hog nose spring, bearing, and rear View attachment 7420
The information you need on the bearing is etched on the inner race.
Your local bearing supply can cross reference that number, and probably has one in stock or can get it next day.
I use motion industries for most of my bearing purchases.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
I've never heard that referred to as a "hog nose spring" before and you had me stumped when you mentioned it earlier. I've always called that an external snap ring. That's another thing I love about this forum, I learn something new everyday.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
6,838 Posts
I've never heard that referred to as a "hog nose spring" before and you had me stumped when you mentioned it earlier. I've always called that an external snap ring. That's another thing I love about this forum, I learn something new everyday.:cool:
Same here!
When the Hog Nose ring was mentioned, I was thinking upholstery.:biggrin:
But as I looked at the external snap ring, I could see the resemblance of the Hog Nose.:encouragement:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bearing I got from the local auto parts dealer, went in well and was punished in the rice fields and gumbo mud of the MS Delta for the last two days. It ran smooth and quiet, despite the harsh environments. I carried a spare bearing with me, just in case. Time will tell if this bearing can handle the work loads of duck season.

As I was using the socket wrench, to put the skid plates back on, one of the bolt heads snapped off leaving 3/4 of the threaded bolt in the frame. Going to drill it out and replace at some point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts