PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an used 2016 Ranger XP 900. The drive shaft makes a clunking noise every time the machine is placed into gear and starts going due to the drive shaft rubbing against a metal plate just before it comes into the transmission. I don’t know what the previous owner did here but I’m looking for ideas to fix this and I just don’t know if a new drive shaft would clear the plate.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Tread

·
Registered
‘17 Ranger 570 Midsize
1,152 Posts
Have you checked the ujoints and the bolts for the engine and drive train?

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,733 Posts
Did you post this previously? I responded to someone having the same problem a few weeks ago. I suggested looking at the engine/transmission mounts for being damaged or worn out.

Reactions: wwg1wga

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you post this previously? I responded to someone having the same problem a few weeks ago. I suggested looking at the engine/transmission mounts for being damaged or worn out.
I looked at the engine mount, everything looks good. I’ve ordered a new driveshaft and u-joints, I’ll see if that solves the issue. Otherwise I was thinking of trying ro raise the engine just enough where the shaft won’t touch the metal plate underneath.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Bottoming it out hard on ledges or ruts could have bent that cross member up.
It has a section that is just a flat piece of steel that is easily bent.
It would be fairly easy to bend it back down if that is the problem.
My ranger has a good 1/2"+ clearance between the shaft and that cross member.
I would also check the rubber biscuits for sag and the mounts to make sure they are bolted in correctly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I purchased an used 2016 Ranger XP 900. The drive shaft makes a clunking noise every time the machine is placed into gear and starts going due to the drive shaft rubbing against a metal plate just before it comes into the transmission. I don’t know what the previous owner did here but I’m looking for ideas to fix this and I just don’t know if a new drive shaft would clear the plate. View attachment 139214
I had this exact problem! I had to bite the bullet and bring it into the service department, but it was totally worth it. They found a bad rear u-joint and a loose motor mount bolt that caused the driveshaft to sag and rub. Mine also started going and wouldn't stop moving, ended up having to replace the belt and primary drive clutch. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New drive shaft and u-joints installed today…big pain if you ever done this lol, but problem persists. Down to the engine mounts, anyone knows the part number for this kit? 2016 Polaris Ranger XP 900 high lifter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
New drive shaft and u-joints installed today…big pain if you ever done this lol, but problem persists. Down to the engine mounts, anyone knows the part number for this kit? 2016 Polaris Ranger XP 900 high lifter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts