PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have read the pinned posts on the electrical but I still have a few questions. We are putting a 2nd battery in our Ranger 6x6 (image below) for all of the add ons. We need a battery isolator and I have seen TrueAM mentioned as the best. After installing a battery isolator, would I still need a battery cutoff switch for the 2nd battery or no? We also are going to put a battery tender on the ignition battery as well.

What are any of your recommendations for setup? I saw pictures before showing a complete thread with step by step pics of the battery isolator but I can not find those pics anymore or the thread. Any help is appreciated. Thank-you

IMG_0121.JPG

·
Registered
279 Posts
With the Tru am that you mentioned from what i have read you should not need to install a cut off in between the main and aux battery. The way it is designed when the voltage of the main battery drops to a certain level the aux battery is disconnected from the main. The battery tender should charge both batteries after the main battery has been charged.

https://sep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-13...mui=f:1721:305419896:bDyu+Hd0GwlTS_FAsT3dj6*q

·
Registered
943 Posts
I will probably be going with a WirthCo 20090 Battery doctor battery isolator and if bought from Pepboys at Ebay is under $50. It has a feature that one can push a button and use the aux. battery to jump the primary or in parallel to give one high amperage for jumping another vehicle. Very simple to use as one gets a hot lead from main battery to isolator another lead to positive side of aux battery. If memory serves right in this caffine starved brain it links to the aux battery when voltage gets to around 13 volts. Most manufactures have the wiring setups available online.
One could also use one to only activate high power lights etc when the vehicle is generating IMO

1 - 4 of 4 Posts