PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm really wanting to purchase a Duraclutch for my 17 General two seat, but I'm running 31x9.5x14 ITP Ultracross r spec tires. They measure 29 1/2" tall. My question is, anyone in here running this clutch with a 30" plus tires? How does clutch preform with over size tires? I really have no desire to to gear down my general. Any and all information is much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
do you have a lift todd at hunter works can answer that but they ask you these questions when ordering at least they did me T&S I'm wanting a duraclutch also for my general crappy stock one squeals to much at slow speeds

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Talked with Todd many times. He tells me I need a gear reduction. He's saying this (in my opinion) because warranty only allows a 10% increase in tires size anything bigger u must install a gear reduction for warranty to stay valid. So I'm guessing he cant say "yes you'll be fine". This is why I'm looking for real world experience with 30" and the duraclutch.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Bear in mind that even a Duraclutch slips as you begin to move. The difference is that instead of the belt slipping between the sheave halves and burning or hour glassing the centrifugal portion of the Duraclutch slips. The slipping portion of the Dura is designed to slip, however there is a limit to how much slippage it will endure before wearing out. The Dura slips to allow smooth starts but engages to a non slipping mode very rapidly keeping wear from slippage (and heat)to a minimum when installed on a machine with OEM or slightly larger tires. Add large diameter tires and you have effectively increased final drive ratio which means more power is required before you get moving and more slippage will be required before total engagement. This is true whether you have a Dura or the OEM clutch and why lower gears are required if you want design life from the Duraclutch.

If only they made a Duraclutch with a miniature torque converter in place of the slipping shoes you would get torque multiplication, smooth starts and no friction parts to wear out. Of course you would have to find way to control the heat generated and that opens up a whole new can of worms.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
in that case i would contact dirty dog dale T&S

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a 2014 ranger 800 6x6 so bear that in mind here...I run a duraclutch and have with 31” and 30” tires.

Todd installed lighter weights for the bigger tires and it does help. The machine still slowly crawls forward and has great engine breaking. Love what it’s done for the machine and has helped a lot with getting the power to the wheels. Haven’t touched the belt or even really looked at it since installing the clutch.

My machine(due to lack of power) will bog down in very high load situations and it is at that time you can start to smell the clutch, BUT you are not smelling the belt burning.

I’m not sure what all is involved with servicing a duraclutch but I bet Todd could chime in with that. So far only have about 500-600 trouble free happy miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I think the Alaskian answered your question. For me anyway. As far as the Polaris warrantee. It lasts ? 3 months or 6 maybe. Build your rig the way you want and don't sweat it.
I didn't know they made a Duraclutch for the General.(I need to get out more)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hunterworks
I run 30" tires with my Duraclutch on my Ranger 1000 and the lower ratio of the Gen 2 clutches is great.
And yes I only mention the gear reduction for warranty sake but at same time depending on what you doing, a gear reduction with big tires for slow riding is great idea

Lol, Todd you are everywhere. I do plan to go back to 28-30" tires if i feel the clutch is over working. I did buy a duraclutch off Rocklong over at polarisgeneralforum for a rocking price last night. He claims this duraclutch was just updated by the manufacture and clutch and belt (less then 100 miles) are new. Anything look outta place Todd? Here is a photo. Should I send it to you and have u go through it? View attachment 109210

·
Vendor
2,096 Posts
Lol, Todd you are everywhere. I do plan to go back to 28-30" tires if i feel the clutch is over working. I did buy a duraclutch off Rocklong over at polarisgeneralforum for a rocking price last night. He claims this duraclutch was just updated by the manufacture and clutch and belt (less then 100 miles) are new. Anything look outta place Todd? Here is a photo. Should I send it to you and have u go through it? View attachment 109210
I need his name to look it up and if it needed a update you would be shipping to duraclutch forthem to do it.

email me his name [email protected] then you can I can email back and forth on this

Todd

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have 30” motoclaws and have run a duraclutch since new. This is a farm/hunting and gets worked pretty good, no issues at all. It will still run 60 but takes longer to get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My Duraclutch arrived yesterday. Waiting on my clutch pulling tool to show up so I can install. I can not wait.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts