PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had 2012 XP800 and a 2015 XP900 both set up the same full tilting windshield, roof and back window. That set up kept the in cab dust to minimum but the 2018 XP 1000 not so much.

Am I the only one that thinks the new set up allows a lot of dust in? The full tilting windshield I just added helped a lot but still not enough when traveling 25-30mph. My next step is half doors but until then I'm searching for spots that dust is coming in....other than right next to the seat they have the cab sealed up pretty tight.

I noticed that there is a couple small openings in the dash on the drivers side but seems unlikely. The only thing that changed on the passenger side is the opening under seat. Where is it coming in???

Is it coming in off the front tires? Through holes I don't see? Frustrating....

Looking for a discussion about this only on the 18 1000's.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have also noticed lots of dust in my 2018 1000. Seems way worse than my 800. I think a lot of it comes up through the steering column opening, but most just comes in from the door openings. During the summer months, I remove the front and rear glass which helps a lot.

Reactions: danger red ranger

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
A lot of dust comes in from the kick up by the front wheels which is sucked in at the door ways as well as the holes in and under the dash. BUT don't forget under and behind the seats.

Reactions: arcticzale

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shall I get into how the aerodynamic slipstream works here? Or can I just say doors are your best option to disrupt the slipstream flow and keep the low pressure area in the cab separated creating better air(dust)flow around the body...?
I get it but trying to figure out the difference between the 900 and this one as the 900 wasn't this bad. Today I think I figured it out and it has to do with the way Polaris kicked in the side on the drivers side and the big hollow opening under the passenger seat. I'm in the process of building the ULTIMATE door......which I agree should fix most of the problem.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So aggravating, super dry here and had no desire to even use my machine all weekend. Spent 3 days on the dirt bike.....

·
Registered
778 Posts
So aggravating, super dry here and had no desire to even use my machine all weekend. Spent 3 days on the dirt bike.....
Dry here too. Managed to make a run under Tahquamenon falls, but it was dusty getting over there. Could use a good rain, but it was a good day otherwise...

Heading Under the upper Tahquamenon Falls(1):
https://youtu.be/AOWcTH_Leoo

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dry here too. Managed to make a run under Tahquamenon falls, but it was dusty getting over there. Could use a good rain, but it was a good day otherwise...

Heading Under the upper Tahquamenon Falls(1):
https://youtu.be/AOWcTH_Leoo
Sweet! I've been there in the winter but not down under.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Sweet! I've been there in the winter but not down under.
It's private property to get to the back side of the falls if you're not on the Toonerville Trolley. A friend of mine knows the owner so we got the gate key. That was the first time I'd been on that side, was pretty amazing especially getting under the curl. Kinda sketchy getting out there though.
20180527_175626.jpg
20180527_175635.jpg
20180527_175916.jpg

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I'm thinking that looks like a nice salmon pool in front of the falls there.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Average speed 10 mph, 2 hours, tipped out windshield.......was 100% clean before I went out. I'm so over this thing, great news though I can now use my $17,000 machine after 3 weeks because it rained. So pumped...:upset:

Half doors are the only thing that fixes the problem.

2018-06-15 14.21.44a.jpg

2018-06-14 16.11.01a.jpg

·
Registered
704 Posts
You do realize a ranger is not a pickup right? Roll your windows down on the pickup and drive around on the gravel, you will get dirty. Take your front windshield completely off, it will help. Its dry and dust is the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You do realize a ranger is not a pickup right? Roll your windows down on the pickup and drive around on the gravel, you will get dirty. Take your front windshield completely off, it will help. Its dry and dust is the nature of the beast.
Yes I do thanks. Not my first Ranger, had an 800 and a 900 all set up the same way and the others were fine.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
So just the new 1000 sucks in the dust ? come on. Two weeks ago I rode 209 miles of gravel trails in two days. At the end of the day my hair was back to its natural color when I was 30. lol. You meet atvs and pass atvs and the dust is flying its impossible not to get dirty. No matter what windshield your using or not using. Dust flys.

Reactions: fswan
1 - 20 of 49 Posts